propguy

Jun 29, 2007
Just getting started and wondering where would be a good place to ride for first time with my young son. Looking for easy trails in L.P. that will be forgiving and safe for slower riders. Not new to motorcycles, but new to trail riding, so any suggestions are appreciated!

CAN-AM KEVIN

Jun 6, 2006
I like riding the Little Manistee Trail out of Carrieville 3miles West of Luther.The trails ar'nt to sandy and the woops ar'nt bad. I've never been an mx racer I 'm 51 years old and last year was the first time in 20 years that I had a trail bike to ride and if I can ride that trail without dumping my bike any one can. Carrieville also has a nice Campground.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
How young is your son PG? There are several spots over here on the west side that work really good for youngens and for newbies.. You probably already know this but most of our trails are sand and whoops - both fun but both take advanced skills to navigate at times..
While raising my kids I would stick their bikes on the trailer (actually they were trained in our fields long before they hit the woods with me) go to particular spots on trails that we would work on.. For instance, if you look at your mapbook and find the trailhead for the Holton Loop (located on Brunswick Rd). The first cross road east of the TH on Brunswick will be Ewing Rd. Instead of parking in the parking lot and having to ride a bunch of whooped out trail, drive down to Ewing road and go north (right) and follow it till you come to a small turn around. Pull off the road there (its all gravel/sand/field) and unload your bikes, keep riding North and turn into the first trail on the right - this spot is called Gordys HIghway - its all relativily new trail, fairly tight and will probably be some of the best trail for breaking in a newbie. ANother spot would be to head up toward Horseshoe Lake Trailhead. If you look at your trailmap and are coming from Fremont on M-82, you stay on M-82 going west unti M-82 crosses M-120 and becomes Skeels rd. There is a harley shop and a wesco gas station on that corner. Keep going west on Skeels - you will come to 184th to the North THAT goes to the trailhead. DONT turn there - instead continue going West on Skeels to the next road to the North - This will be 180th, turn right here - it is gravel/sand road.. Follow this road to the first intersection. You are going to want to park somewhere in here and unload - if you go up the road a little ways there is pull off that you can park in that will get you off the road - problem is you will have to putt down the dirt road to get back tothe intersection. Anyway, on your bikes or with your truck - turn left and the trail crosses that little sandy road a couple blocks down. Turn left on the trail (going south) and the trail makes a very small loop in this section - it will come back out to the road you turned in on only in a different spot.
Once you come back out of the trail you will need to come back East to get back to the spot where you turned into the trail in the first place - youcan rerun that small loop LOTS - I used to ride up there just to ride that little piece and spend an hour or two just ripping thru it!! Once you get back to the place youturned into the trail you can turn the other way (North) and find more really good stuff. Watch very carefully and you will see a 'Y" in this section very soon after leaving the roadway. Take the "Y" to the left - to the right will be VERY ripped up and whooped out..
SOmeday if you have time another real fun spot is up across from Nichols Lake campground. If you take M-37 up to Brohman, turn on 11 mile Road to the west, follow it thru Woodland park, stay on it till you come tothe Main ENtrance of Nichols Lake Campground. Go about another 100 yards and you will see see where the MCCCT coomes out on the Left side of the road. There is a small turn around right there on the trail that you can camp, unload and ride anytime - FOR FREE BROTHA!!! YOu CANT camp at Nichols Lake and ride your dirtbikes out (unless thier street legal - something that I have been promoting for years!!). Anyway, park down at the end of the MCCT and ride your bikes in to the south. this is not a loop so you will have to double back to get back to your vehicle (unless you want to follow two-tracks BUT if you do you can get in trouble if your not street legal..) This section is one of my favorites - usually not so whooped out and sandy that it causes newbies troubles..
THere ya go - now take your son and have a BLAST!!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Oh yea, by the way, glad you found us here - welcome aboard!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
woodsy said:
Once you come back out of the trail you will need to come back East to get back to the spot where you turned into the trail in the first place - youcan rerun that small loop LOTS

Dude I am sitting in my chair and after reading that I dont have a clue where I am at.

24mph,m/l

Just pick a loop, take lots of water, some Band-Aids and Motrin. By the time you return to your truck, you'll be trail riders. And be sure to obey stop signs.

propguy

Jun 29, 2007
Woodsy,

Thanks for the tips. I found the Holton trail, but will have to spend a little more time poring over the map to find the Horseshoe are you mention. The Holton trails are actually pretty close.

CAN-AM Kevin,

How long does it take you to get to the Little Manistee trails from Rockford. I live in Rockford, too. Go figure, my first name is Kevin, too.

In general, how busy are the trails? If I go up on Sundays will it be very crowded? Anything else I should know? I'm a rookie, but I'm not too proud to ask for advice!!!

Thanks all!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hit the trails 1st thing in the morning. By 1st I mean riding by 6:30-7am That way you beat the mid summer heat and by the time you are done the masses are just starting to show up. Then you still have the rest of the day to get things done....after a nap of course.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
Dude I am sitting in my chair and after reading that I dont have a clue where I am at.
Well what do ya know Don,, I guess some things in life will never change..
Heyyy, speakin of takin risks by being known who ya hang with,, are you gonna make the Harescramble at Bridgton today? GUess it starts at 1pm.. I am thinking I may go just to take some pic,,,,,,,,, sounds like another photo op Kodact moment.. Now all I gotta do is gt up before 1k arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg Once you start wrenchin at 3 a.m. you will NEVER go back tothe hustle and bussel

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
woodsy said:
Well what do ya know Don,, I guess some things in life will never change..
Heyyy, speakin of takin risks by being known who ya hang with,, are you gonna make the Harescramble at Bridgton today? GUess it starts at 1pm.. I am thinking I may go just to take some pic,,,,,,,,, sounds like another photo op Kodact moment.. Now all I gotta do is gt up before 1k arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg Once you start wrenchin at 3 a.m. you will NEVER go back tothe hustle and bussel

As you probaby know already (if you ever got up out of bed that is) I never made it out there. Went to the Motocross Nationals at Red Bud today....

REEEEEDDDDD BUUUUDDDDDD............

RC put on a clinic on how to apply pressure untill someone cracks. It was texbook. Glad I was there to see it.

They were auctioning off various riders riding gear and donating the procedes to the Doug Henry fund. RC's dirty sweaty signed jersey from moto #1 went for $5000. Very cool.

They had a legends race out there. Jeff Stanton, Mike Larocco, RC (on a smoker) and a few others. I just missed it as we were coming in. Good times for sure.

CAN-AM KEVIN

Jun 6, 2006
Propguy
I'm a little East of Rockford (near Wabasis lake) and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours
to get to carrieville. I went up there on the 4TH of July and camped for the night
there were about 6 other campers and two trucks in the parking lot

Top Bottom