Dirtless79

Nov 11, 2003
Hey folks. I'm considering giving up my streetbike for a dirtbike in the spring. Why? Too many close calls on the street - I've been lucky; I don't want to press my luck. Anyway, I love the two-wheeled machines to death and hate to give it up. I'm also an avid mountain biker, so I figured why not combine what I enjoy. So, a few questions:

New or Used?: I know streetbikes get flogged, but I think it's 10x worse when factoring in debris, sand, and water. Is it even worth considering someone else's machine to save a couple thousand?

What size engine?: Well, not an exact displacement, I just know there are 125, 250, 400's, etc. I just want an estimate. I would like to get into trail riding - you know, just kind of exploring the terrain, go out for a few hours during weekend, escape the world for a while - all that stuff. But power is good.

What's a reliable brand?: I love my Honda. It's bullet proof and I feel anything Honda makes is an excellent choice. But I am open to ideas to sway me either way.

Other resource on the web? : I have a long road ahead of me before the bike market gets hot again in the spring, so I am going to dedicate a lot of time towards info gathering.

Thanks all! Hope I can contribute in the long run...

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Well since you like Hondas, the XR line are excellent trail bikes. Personally, I'm partial to 2 strokes so I'd suggest looking into a KDX or maybe a KTM. If you're an adrenalin junkie, the 2 stroke might provide a better fix.

A used dirtbike can be an excellent value. But you need to be patient and shop around for one that's been well maintained. But if money isn't an object, a new one is nice.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
If you go for the KTM check out the MXC line as it is more of an all purpose bike! As far as 2 or 4 stroke, do you want a nitrous hit (2 stroke) or a tractor like pull (4 stroke), the 4 stroke will be more forgiving. Good Luck

Dirtless79

Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by mdkuder
If you go for the KTM check out the MXC line as it is more of an all purpose bike! As far as 2 or 4 stroke, do you want a nitrous hit (2 stroke) or a tractor like pull (4 stroke), the 4 stroke will be more forgiving. Good Luck

Well, the motorcycles I've had were all 4 strokes, so the two stroke would be an interesting departure.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The KDX and the 200 or 250EXC(or MXC) are your 2 strokes and a XR200, WR250 are the four strokes(unless you want a dual sport which you don't; believe me). I think you'd have more fun on a 2 stroke but you should ride them if you can and get one. Remember the 2 stroke dead line is 2006 so I'd take the expirience.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Me personally, I would also reccomend a 2-stroke. The powerband on the things are just insane, and every little thing about them I fall in love with. I love the KDX 200 2-stroke power. Its really something you should consider.

But then again, Diffrent strokes for different folks.

Top Bottom