Rdog

May 6, 2008
Hey everyone! Let me start by thanking all who make this forum possible. All this info here has help me with my purchase...

im 5'7" 180LBS - Here is what I got its a 2000 RM250 all seems stock but with some kind of performance package? exaust, handlebars...etc? not really sure. I bought it off a rider that seemed to baby it and was not aggresive at all. It has maybe 20 hours on it. I have some questions that I been gathering that I woulld like to be answered.

1. This bike has been setting for about 4 years now...it started right up and seems fine. I rode it for about an hour now. Is there anything I should do fluid wise or adjustments?

2. I plan on using this for woods riding. I seems way to snappy for me as this is really my first bike in the dirt. I read on getting a flywheel weight. Is there anything else I can do to get this more comfortable in the woods? The bike seems a little high for me. Also Any one have a fww for sale???

3. I got some front sprockets...13.14.15 Tooth. 15 is on it now. Can I use these or what would the benifet to chainging them other than the obvous of gearing? The rear sprocket is stock.

4. I plan on taking very good care of the bike and would like it to last. I read some of the manual about maintenance and inspecting the bike and replacing parts after so many hours of use/races...How Does this apply to wood riding...I'm sure theres maintenance but how offen when your not beating on it?

5. The exaust is really loud, do I need to change the whole muffler or can I get a silencer for the stock one or how does that work?

thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
1. Change the oil, clean and re-oil the air filter, check chain adjustment.

2. FWW and porting are your best bets for altering the delivery of power.

3. The chart I have shows the stock gearing is 13/48, if you currently have 15/48 on there the bike should not be all that snappy down low but should have gained a bunch of top end speed before running out of gearing. Dropping the front sprocket will give it more bottom end/less top end.

4. It will depend on how many hours you put on the bike. If you ride a lot I would bank on putting a top end in at the mid point of your season. Keep on top of greasing all of the bearings in the bike.

5. Pull apart the stock silencer and repack it.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I got the same bike and I also ride a lot of trails and woods.

Here is what I did when I got it.

I put a 10 oz FWW on it to help with the hit. I am probably going to go with a 6 oz now since I am a bit more comfortable with the bike. The FWW helps with the stalling especially when you are on the technical trails. You can get it at rocky mountain for about $99. That is the cheapest I have found.

I shaved the seat down because the bike was a bit tall for me since i am 5'5. I also change the fork and shock springs to the correct rating for my weight and I adjusted the sag correctly. That helped out a bunch.

I am running a 13/51 gearing set up on it and it seems to work well for me. 13 in the front and 51 in the back. I went for more torq instead of top end speed since I mostly ride trails.

I have a FMF Turbine Powercore silencer with spark arrester which is forest approved and it seems to quite the bike down a good deal and gives me the performance I need. It is also super easy to repack.

I would also just do everything that Chili said to do in regards to fluids and bearings. I would change out all the fluids and repack all the bearings just to ease your mind.

I change out my top end 2 months even thought the bike was running good because I wanted to check out the internals on the bike to make sure everything was okay. I would never listen to the prevous owner in regards to how many hours the bike has unless he has an hour meter on it. They could just say that to get you to buy the bike.

As far as maintenance goes i usually change the tranny oil and clean the air filter usually every 3-4 rides. If you ride in sand or really dusty areas I would change it a bit more frequently.

Let me know if that helps you out.

Top Bottom