wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm 210lbs and a woods rider, with an occasional MX track thrown in to keep things interesting. My 03 KDX200 suspension is completely stock. Since this is the first dirt bike I've ridden in a long time, I'm not sure what a "good" suspension feels like.

I've read that the fork springs in the KDXs are setup for a 130lb rider, and that the rear spring is setup for a 180lb rider.

Question: what can I expect from replacing the fork springs with heavier springs? Since I don't know what a "good suspension" is, can you help me understand what a "dialed in" suspension (especially the front) will do for me?

Thanks for your patience and help!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
At a minimum you should find downhills to be less frightening, since the forks will stay up in the stroke higher. No more almost about to endo feeling. Also, since you can then back off on the compression damping a bit, smaller limbs and rocks won't hammer your wrists as bad.

paul6585

~SPONSOR~
Aug 27, 2002
You should change them. I probaby have the fork and shock springs you need. I bought my 99 kdx200 from a guy your size who installed heavier springs on the bike. It was too stiff for me so I changed the springs to softer ones. I am 6' and 180lbs. I have 1-2 yrs riding experience. Let me know if you are interested. paul@validationmasters.com.

aliikai

Aug 17, 2003
I am 260, 6'4" and have a currently stock 2004 KDX220R. I have .48 fork springs and a 5.4 kg being shipped to me as I type. I will let you know how they work when I get them in. The race tech site is pretty good at figuring out what springs are needed for your weight and riding style.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The Race Tech site is useless for spring rates for a KDX. Mayeb if it were a MX bike but it is not. Unless your an A rider anything over .40 will just be way stiff in the woods no matter what you weigh.

Top Bottom