May 10, 2007
for what??

tracks or trail

for trail i would practice smooth clutch operation. try only moving a few feet at a time so that you cannot fully let the clutch out. also try being able to get over logs you need to pop the front tire up a little bit to get it over. also starting on a hill is useful. for that you just gotta do it.

for a track i would look for a class of some sort to help get jumping.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Work more on your form and control than trying to go fast or jump high.

• Get your controls properly positioned before doing anything else. Clutch and front brake levers should be level or just slightly below level. Shofter and rear brake levers should be even with the tops of the footpegs.
  • Practice moving around on the bike in anticipation of what it will do. As you open the throttle, move forward as much as possible (don't wait until it has tried to run out from under you and then try to climb back forward). As you transition from acceleration to braking, move your weight as far back as possible.
  • Get in the habit of always riding with one or two fingers on the clutch lever and one on the front brake.
  • Get in the habit of always riding on the balls of your feet and moving them forward when you need to shift and brake.
  • Practice using as much front brake as possible.
The above, and much more, were things learned from taking classes with a good rider who also is a good teacher (they need to be both). I went to Ike DeJager, http://2020racingacademy.com . I would strongly suggest taking a class or two before you develop too many bad habits.

Top Bottom