Newbie, urgent advice needed please

saturk

Sep 21, 2008
Hi

I have just joined this site and I am keen to find out and gather as much information as possible on off road bikes as I am wanting to get one in the near future, but advice is needed please. Firstly I have ridden rm 80 when i was younger, approx 15 years ago, so therefor i havent ridden for a while, therefor lets class myself as totally new to the sport. Hopefully the answers to the questions below will help you guide me in the right direction.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Height 5"11 , weight 147 pounds or 67 kilograms

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I am a very physical person for my age, and always like to push myself harder when doing something.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods, fields and tracks

4) Do you have any riding experience?
No, but i know how to ride motorbikes though but have never raced on tracks or enduros, the closest ive done to that is BMX racing.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes hopefully in the future, we have a few tracks around here but it will be socially.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I would only do what i am capable of doing, otherwise the rest would be left to the proper mechanics.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Im very keen on the Honda Cr's and KX's, but do i go for a 125 or a 250. Another thing that i am urgently needing to know is what is the difference betewwn a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke, please help me with this question.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
The dealers have pretty much all brands.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
2000$

10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
30 years

Thanks so much and i am looking forward to the replies, your help is much appreciated. Thanks once again.

Iluvdirt123

Aug 20, 2008
saturk said:
Another thing that i am urgently needing to know is what is the difference betewwn a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke, please help me with this question.

1. two strokes in a way can be more costly, considering you need to mix your gas. Two strokes are known to guzzle gas.

2. Four strokes are a lot more comples when it comes to fixing (thats only in my opinion, could be wrong)

3. Two strokes have a lot more snap to it. if you want something to throw aroung a lot i would pick the two stroke.

4. Four strokes are a lot easier when it comes to trails and stuff like that

Judging you physical ability and want you wanna ride, i would pick a two stroke, maybe something like a Honda Cr 250, or a Kawasaki KX

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
2 strokes do use more gas but unless you ride a lot the extra gas expense will be negligible.

People say that four strokes require more maintenance because you have to adjust the valves and that top end rebuilds are much more complicated on a four stroke.

Two strokes are generally less expensive, especially used. Top end rebuilds on a four stroke can be much more expensive, especially after a seize.

Four strokes are easier for a beginner to handle

To get in your price range I would recommend a 250cc two stroke, 5 to 10 years old. If the seller hasn't rebuilt the top end recently plan on doing fairly soon after you buy it.

Rod

saturk

Sep 21, 2008
Thanks so much for the replies, the replies have given me a bit of direction. If I go for a 2 stroke, what petrol is the best to use (leaded or unleaded) and what oil should be used. And then what is the mixture ratio for the petrol and oil. Once again thanks for all your help, im really superkeen to get a bike as ive got loads of land and dirt roads to ride on.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
saturk said:
Thanks so much for the replies, the replies have given me a bit of direction. If I go for a 2 stroke, what petrol is the best to use (leaded or unleaded) and what oil should be used. And then what is the mixture ratio for the petrol and oil. Once again thanks for all your help, im really superkeen to get a bike as ive got loads of land and dirt roads to ride on.

use unleaded! for the pre- mix, everybody has there opinion, and the mixture ratio depends on your bike. Say if you have a 125 2 stroke, you would want to mix it 32:1.

saturk

Sep 21, 2008
Hey guys once again thanks for all the advice, but one thing just crosses my mind, is there a huge difference in perfomance between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke, i mean for some reason im beginning to understand that the 2 stroke is more nippier and quicker and faster, but the 4 stroke is easier to handle. The weight difference between the 2 stroke and for stroke are they the same. Please any more detailed information on the 2 stroke and 4 stroke differences or comparisons please advise me, thanks dudes

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's more complicated than "2 stroke vs 4 stroke". There's bikes designed for trail riding that are MUCH more durable than an MX bike. MX bikes, 2 or 4 stroke, are built for maximum performance. With this design the maintenance interval is drstically shortened.

I would stay with an MX bike if you plan to spend more than half your time on the track. Certain trail bikes will be able to take some play days at the track. An mx bike won't handle or ride as well in the woods though as the suspension is far stiffer for the bigger jumps & bumps on the track.

As far as engines, MX bikes are quicker revving and tend to have more snappy power. An MX 4 stroke is SUPPOSED to be extremely responsive to throttle like a 2 smoker. The 4 stroke MXers tend to have a wider, smoother power spread. I have found that you can tune the way the motor pulls with jetting quite nicely in a 250f. I couldn't get my 250 2t to run smooth and clean, it was like a light switch or a spooge factory. There are about 700 bucks worth of extra top end parts in a 4 stroke that WILL wear out. Now trail bikes, there's a whole different situation. Take an old Honda XR for example. I dated a girl for a while whos dad had an 84 or 85 xr600 he bought new and rode ALOT for 15 years and all it ever needed (in the engine at least) was rings and valve seals. There's alot of folks getting serious time on KDX engines, not 10 years, but much more than an MX bike.

As for weight, a 125 and 250f mx bikes are similar. 250 2t and 450 are similar. Trail bikes are heavier.

saturk

Sep 21, 2008
Thanks mate, another in depth question, what is the difference bewteen a CR 250, CRF 250 , CR 250R, I think i have written them right, ive just come accross these different models or types i should say, while browsing the internet lookings for bikes. Thanks

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A comment/clarification on what Joe said regarding the durability of "trail" vs "MX" bikes:

The major manufacturers all have several lines of dirt bikes.

The "MX" bikes are built for racing, are expensive and have no frills such as a kickstand, headlight, etc. The engines are high performance, which will require premium grade of gasoline. The bike itself is incredibly durable, it absolutely amazes me the abuse they will take. The engine will not last without frequent maintenance, which includes changing the piston and rings. This is the price you pay for a race engine.

An "off road (or sometimes called "trail") bike is significantly "detuned" from the MX bike. To start with they tend to have a lower seat height, which is better for shorter people. As a result they usually have significantly less suspension travel then their MX cousins. The engines run a lower compression ratio so they can use cheap pump gas. Because the engines aren't expected to win races they are built a little heavier and will survive much longer without needing rebuilding. The engine is more durable than the MX, but the bike as a whole is not. Off road models are usually four stroke.

There are also models between the two, sometimes referred to as enduro bikes. They will typically have the high performance of the MX bikes and the frills of the off road model. I.E, they will have the high performance engine, long travel suspension, and also have the kickstand, headlight, battery and even electric start. These are often the most expensive model.

If you plan on riding trails and keeping the tires on the ground all the time an "off road" model is great. If you are going to the track and expect to get airborne then you will be a lot better off on a MX bike.

With most manufacturers the letter "F" in the model name usually indicates that it is a four stroke. With Honda the "R" suffix usually indicates "race", or MX bike.

I might be wrong but I believe that:
CR250 is an older two stroke MX bike.
CRF250 is an older four stroke MX bike.
CR250R is a recent, but not current, two cycle MX bike

From the Honda website:
CRF250R is the current 250 cc four stroke MX bike
CRF230F (or CRF230L) are 230 cc four stroke off road bikes.
CRF450X is the four stroke enduro bike.

Rod

saturk

Sep 21, 2008
Hey Rod

Thanks man that explains a lot me and it makes sense, i actually know now what i should look for. I think 70 - 80% ill be riding on my land and then weekends at the track hopefully. Regarding my weight of 147 pounds would a CR125 be appropriate or would i get bored from that pretty quick.

Thanks mate and thanks to everyone who has up until now answered my questions. :cool:

Mar 18, 2006
125mx 2 strokes are the most fun bikes ever invented IMO. The CR is a good choice. We have an '06. Great bike once the stock jetting is fixed. The YZ (Yamaha) rates higher in the magazine tests. I don't always trust their opinions, and haven't had the opportunity to compare. I have compared to a KTM 125, and the KTM is faster and slightly quicker, but doesn't handle as well for me. The KTM's also seem to require a little higher level of tuning expertise, both in engine and suspension (I am only talking about a single KTM 125 and a single KTM 200 here). Which reminds me, that KTM 200xc is one REALLY nice 2 stroke all-around bike. And I can hardly wait to turn that CR125 into a 144. That will be sweet, I'm sure.

regards

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am 6' tall, 195 lbs.
I have two bikes, a YZ=125 and a Wr-250 (both are two stroke).

For just messing around I prefer the 125. It is a little bit lighter, easier for me to start, and I get bragging rights when I climb a hill that my son on his 250 fails. The main downside is when he hit the smooth dirt road and the guys on the 250s tear off and leave me in their dust. Times like that I wish I had a 7th gear.....

I bought the WR250 when I started riding enduros and simply needed the extra power. There is no doubt that the 250 is faster but that doesn't necessarily make it more fun. A 125 has enough power for most situations but you have to work harder to make use of the power. That often means more shifting and slipping the clutch to "keep it on the pipe".

If you stay on essentially flat ground a 125 will have plenty of power. What will be difficult for you as a beginner is when you start climbing hills and need to shift at a time when you are already too busy just trying to keep the bike on the trail. A 250 in that situation might reduce the urgency of the shift, but then again applying too much power can get you into even more trouble.

Rod

saturk

Sep 21, 2008
thanks dudes, ecery time I write a post or ask these questions I begin to understand more and more about what direction I ahould go in choosing a bike. I am living in turkey at present, and mx is known here pretty well, but obviously not near the level as you guys in the states or UK. One problem and only problem for me is that the bikes ive been looking at in turkey, online and at dealers is that they are so pricey, even second hand ones. I mean for example Cr250R 2004 models are around 5500 - 6000 YTL which is a bout 4500 - 5000$. Is that expensive or what, meanwhile in UK they are arounf the 1000 pound mark 2000$. Does anyone in the US ship second hand bikes worldwide or does anyone know of anyone, maybe i could make my dream come true with a cheaper price.

Thanks

Top Bottom