newbie wr426 starting procedures

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i know this subject has been kicked to death:D , but i just got the wr home sat night, put in my racing fuel,and followed the book procedures with no luck. i was a sweating pig after about 10min of fruitless kicking. the wife was forlone and quietly questioned my choice of the wr over the exc. well then i pushed in the choke and pulled out the hot start and it started right up. after riding for about 45 min i went inside for about and hour and came back out, used the hot start and started on the first kick. now, after much experimentation, if i'm starting a cold bike, i give it two twists of the throtle, pull out the hot start, and it never takes more than 2 kicks. if it is hot ie i kill the bike(:eek: ) the bike will start on the first kick with the hot start pulled. btw, god bless that kickstand, cause at 5'9" its hard to get a good kick, but i put down the kickstand, stand on the pegs, and bingo, plenty of travel for a good kick.:D

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, the kickstand is a good thing, worth every oz too! If the bike starts with the hot start pulled when its cold, or even warm, It sounds like the pilot is rich. pop the float bowl and go leaner, in, with the pilot in 1/4 turn at a time until it starts cold with the choke on. Once your in the ballpark there, use the air screw to dial in good idel and start settings. If your hitting the throttle and pulling the air start, your making it rich then leaning it out, kinda just undoing what your doing. The bike should start cold with the choke on and maybe 2 or 3 whacks with no throttle. Your dealer may have set it up on regular pump gas and thats why it rich now. Give it like 3 to 5 minutes on choke ot warm up to, it dose not like running cold.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
thanks for the info, i'll give that a shot. btw, racing gas...whew! it's like 7$ a gallon at the local honda shop. it's not bad tho when you figure out riding time on 5 gals tho.it does smell funny.:think. oh yeah, i have not yet uncorked the muffler or taken out the airbox insert yet, will i have to reset the pilot, or is the pilot for idle, or did i just ask two unrelated questions.....ignorance..it's a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Well if it is in fact rich at idel or start time, if you uncork the air box and exhaust and snip the gray wire and all, You will probably be closer to being dialed in as those mods tend to make a diled in bike run lean. Its fun to ride the bike in stock trim only because it makes you feel so smug when you see the improvement with the free mods. Just take that lid off and the insert out and see how it starts for you.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
yep,still got the throttle stop in, gonna order the yz stop so i get it right. i think i'll snip the wire uncork the pipe and clean out the air box this weekend, as of now, most my evenings are taken clearing a circuit in my ravine, a couple more trees and some more brush and i'll be set.

Top Bottom