jhayes

Sep 15, 2008
Hi,
My name is JJ and I'm new to dirt bikes. Rode one and had to get one. I have a bone stock 2002 kx 250 and I'm pretty happy with it. I do mostly trail riding, and wrecking. Anyways, I was looking into getting an FMF gnarly pipe and silencer b/c someone told me that was the way to go for low end (trail riding). would you agree???... also started looking online for a pipe the ones i found were not with a silencer. What silencer would go best with the gnarly for trail riding.

Thanks!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Pipe and silencer is usually sold separately.

The FMF gnarly pipe is better suited for low end. At least according to the FMF website. I swapped out my stock pipe for a Gnarly and didn't really notice any difference but I haven't got the jetting dialed in quite yet.

A lot of choices on the silencer. For me, the primary requirement was the spark arrestor. If you are going to compete in events that are held on public land then a pipe that meets the 96dB requirement will also be essential.

Keep in mind that after you change the pipe and silencer you may need to adjust the jetting on the carburetor. If you know how to "read plugs" then you should get a reading now, before you change to get a baseline and then check it again afterwards. FMF will also have some jetting guidelines that might get you close. They have some information on their website and my pipe came with some paperwork that was specific to my bike.

Rod

jhayes

Sep 15, 2008
thanks for the info... I'm sorry to hear that you have not noticed any gains from the pipe. I hope its just your jetting. Getting the jetting dialed in should not be a problem, especially considering how much room there is on these 250 2strokes to play with the carb.

thanks again

jake760

Jun 1, 2008
Yes the gnarly is the low end pipe. The shorty silencer is the best choice to build low end power, but no spark arrestor, and it's on the louder side. You might want to check out the turbine core 2 also, that's what I run, It's a spark arrestor and it's fairly quiet.

Top Bottom