outdoors1

Aug 22, 2000
I have been looking at several bikes for a long time. Still can't make up my mind. I know I definately want to ride. I am 37 and haven't ridden dirt since the late 70's. There is a bike shop close to me that I have been looking bikes. They are trying to make me a deal on a new 2000 Husqavarna. I really don't know if these prices are good. 00 125wr for 4200 or a 00 250wr for 4800 (price is total walk out the door no other gotchas). Since I haven't ridden for so long should I get the 125 or get the 250? I keep checking the local papers and all I find are real old bikes or really new ones at about the same price (all different brands). Is Husqvarna a good bike or should I start back with something else. I'm tall and the both the 125/250 had the same seat height which was good for me. Suggestions - Pleas Help!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I think a 125 is harder to ride than a 250, but both are fun. I would make my decision based on your weight, and the type of riding you plan on doing the most of. I'm not a big Husky fan. I prefer the color orange.

My knee jerk beginning bike for you would be a KTM200 (mxc or exc).

There are a lot of good used bikes out there. I would look at the For Sale forum here on DRN, the local newspapers, and www.traderonline. You can by two used bikes for the price of one new bike. Example: XR250, and a RM250. This will allow you to really get a feel of two extremes in the 250 cc range (just a thought). Good LucK, and welcome aboard.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I agree with Strick a 250 can often times be easier to ride than a 250, plus they can go longer before matenince, such as top ends etc.

robj

Oct 31, 2000
I guess a lot depends on how tight and knarly the terrain, but I would say go for the 125. I know it's subjective, but I rather have a motor where you can use all the power a lot of the time. It takes a lot more out of me trying to hold on to a 250 on full song. (Maybe the 200 gives you the best of both worlds.) Husky and KTM 125's seem pretty user friendly. There's enough bottom end to lug you through the slippery tricky stuff. I like the light weight and handling too. Good luck Whichever way you go, they're both great bikes.

Rob (mildly biased WR rider)

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
Hi Outdoors1,
I'm going to chime in on this one. I started riding again at 39 years old. I had been off of a bike for about 21 years. I wanted something for my son and I to do together. It has been and still is a blast.
Bear in mind that I am not that good of a rider but things are getting better. The thing about bikes I think is that it is as much fun learning as it it after you have some seat time. All I know is that I am still learning and having a ball.
Now for the bike issues that you have raised. I was in your exact same boots 3 yrs. ago. First off I say you are a very smart guy for asking your questions here. A lot of guys here know what they are talking about and can probably save you some money and have you on the right bike the first time. I started on a 95 XR 250. While the bike was fine my heart was in a 2 stroke. I figured I would go the KDX 220 way. That bike was fine too. But neither bike was anything near what I have now. I have a 00 KTM 200 mx\c. The KTM has way better suspension and power than either of the above mentioned bikes. Also my KTM is very light compared. The thing I like about the KTM 200 is that it feels like a 125 but has the power of a 250 it seems. There will be no need to redo the suspension as soon as you get it and there will be no need to spend a bunch of money on after market stuff like pipes,silencer ect. Put some bark busters on it and go. The KTM 200 will lug (go slow) as well as go as fast as you probably want to go. Great all around bike I think. By the way. I am 5'10" and 165#s. So this bike fits me very well.
There are a lot of great bikes out there but I have found that the bike I have now fits me best. Oh, do you see how you can save money by asking your questions here? I had to buy three bikes to find the one for me.

Best wishes, welcome aboard and happy trails,

Gary

outdoors1

Aug 22, 2000
From the responses I received I get the feeling I should really look at the KTM's. Tell me what you think of these. I found a 1999 200 MXc for $4000. The person selling it is getting out of riding due to an injury (not MXing). He only rode the bike a few times plus is throwing in all the accessories including a new set of tires. I also found a 2000 300 EXc for $4000. It is a clean bike also, however you can tell it has been ridden a fair amount - still in good condition. I have been told by a couple of people different things to consider when choosing the size of the bike. I primarily just want to get back into riding. No racing at this time. Maybe after I feel comfortable I will try a HS. I have been advised to go with the 200 since its power is not overwhelming but plenty to keep me going. I have also been told go with the 300 since you can ride it like an open bike and just leave it in one gear and ride all day. Everybody's thoughts would be appreciated. I want to get a bike soon so when the weather starts getting better I can be out on the trails. Cabin fever - or is it anti-snow fever? Thanks!
smile.gif

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
Outdoors-
You'll be surprised how quickly it will all come back to you. The thing you'll probably notice most is lack of conditioning on your part? I know I did! If you've been couch surfing this winter start with some cardio now so you can spend some time on the bike you do choose.
smile.gif

I don't know how big or how much you wiegh but if you are of average build 5-10 180# and riding in the woods I think you would be happier with the 200. If your 6' 225 riding in alot of open areas I think you'd be better suited with the 300. If you were sittting on a 125 I'm guessing your closer to the first. Rider ability goes along way,i.e. I have a buddy a B rider(closer to an A), 5-10 185#, and he races the 300 in tight woods HS and places.
I'm 6' 250# and HS race the 520.

So here goes, my 2 cents, I'd try to pick up a 99-00 200E/XC in excellent condition,look to spend about 3800-4200, & take your time getting reaquanted with riding. The 200 will be very user friendly at first, it will penalize you for your mistakes, just not like a 300 would!! After some saddle time, and as you twist it more, it will be there for you and you'll love it. If, at the end of the season you decide to go bigger, you will have a bike you can sell and won't loose your shirt at time of sale. Keep in mind were kind of bias in here so no matter what size bike you chose go orange, in the end you'll be glad you did!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ripin520 (edited 02-28-2001).]

outdoors1

Aug 22, 2000
When I rode years ago I was only a teenager crashing through every field and road out in the country. Now 34 6'2" 200. We even loved to jump by setting up wooden ramps on our gravel roads. Really scary now that I look back at what we did then. Fortunately never hurt more than a bit of a gravel jammed in your knees and hands. Still think the 200?

ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
Outdoors, I was in your place last year. I'm 42 and have been off for about 18years. I'm 5'10'' and 200 lbs and ride woods,h.s. and enduroes. I bought a used 99 250 EXC and I love it. The bike is easy to ride and has plenty of power. I ride it completely stock while all my buddies keep pouring money into after-market parts trying to make thier bikes better. Good Luck!

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
6'-2" 200# Get your hands on a good used 99-00 250 E/XC or even a M/XC. You won't regret it! You may want to get a taller seat foam for the bike as well. Good Luck.

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
Hi Outdoors1,
Sounds like the 250 would be a good choice for you. One thing you mentioned about when you were young and gravel in your knees. Maybe I don't need to say this but for safty sake I will. Before you ride the first time be sure to have all the gear you need. Good boots,helment,goggles,gloves ect. Some people get by with blue jeans like we did in the day but now days everyone is wearing riding pants and they are a lot better to ride in than jeans. In my book one of the most important items would be either knee/shin protectors or knee braces. My son craked a bone in his knee because he was not wearing his. I'll take the blame. He was 8 yrs. old and I'm the dad. We were just new to the sport and I didn't realize I guess. We never ride with out all of our gear on these days. Maybe this info will save you an injury. Thats the idea anyway.

Good luck and get ready for some real fun!

Gary

bodeen

Feb 26, 2001
Have fun. Don't get too caught up in what you buy. Get on something at a reasonable price, ride it and have fun. Within months you will know what you really want. sell what you have and buy another. It is part of the fun. I have a 200 EXC. Awesome. I have never known anyone who had one that did not love it. Come to think of it I have never known anyone with any KTM that did not love it.

sound

Feb 20, 2001
34 ,5'9" 180lb. after being away for 20 years I got an it 175 for 600 bucks last summer. In the fall traded it for a ktm 250 mxc. the bike requires no add ons! It is a good bike in the trails and I took it to an mx track and caught some very exciting air. the ktm 250 has huge throttle response, which puts huge smiles on your face. I love riding it and look forward to some organized races this year. Ask me questions if you like.

Top Bottom