jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Howdy Yall!!! hey im a newbie, and I have always wanted a dirtbike. Im 18 yrs old and looking to purchase one and i NEED YOUR HELP!!! what would you suggest for a rider that is 6'1 in height??? im havin trouble finding the right height deal, plus what is your fav manufacturer? thanks dudes!!!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
It's all relevent. At 6' you probably aren't a lightweight. At 18 yrs old you are probably ready for just about anything. Depends on your physical condition, what type of terrain you will most likely ride, how quickly you adapt to offroad (ever ridden a streetbike?) Personality (do you like TOO MUCH? or are you laid back) Are you going to race? (probably not right now). You will eventually develop preferences and meet new friends that ride and they may affect what is best for you.

I give the same advice to new people, Look at the used bike ads, go and ride them, you will get some idea of what you prefer. Basic decisions are mx or offroad, 2 or 4 stroke.

Some beginner bikes to look for are the kdx 200/220, honda CRF 230, Yam 250 wr/yzf. KTM mxc. All nice bikes in my opinion. I have a bud that is over 6 ft, somewhat experienced, and loves his KDX 200.

You are much better off riding before you buy. It's the only thing that can give you a feel for what suits you. Also be more specific as to your experience and what you will use the bike for. There are people here with the same specs, different bikes, and will argue to the end that their bike is best, proving that it is was feels right to them that matters.

Good Luck to You. You are definetely on the Right Site!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Chief   

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Hey guys, sorry about puttin this in the wrong forum earlier. Hey I found a KDX200 on the net, wanted to get your opinion on it, here is the website http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/6/4/57373764.htm thanks dudes.

-Jack

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Oh sorry guys, and what should I look for defects when i finally go and see this bike??? Im a moron so dont get technical lol

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
The KDX my bud rides, He bought it new. Put new reeds, FMF rev pipe, airbox mods on it. All relatively minor and cheap except for the pipe. Stock silencer. He seems quite happy wit it and also owns a Kaw 900 crotch rocket so he can judge perfomance. He gets nervous with me just sitting on the streetbike (FZR?) so I may ask him for a ride just to make him squirm.

If you go to the 'Forward motion' link on DRN, you can order books that tell you what to look for in a used bike. After buying a new bike I can tell you it's just like any other used bike out there after a year or so. They all take a lot of upkeep to stay in shape. Retired race bikes can be a steel. I've seen it with my own eyes. There are a lot of things to look for, but you basically want to determine how well the owner maintained it. That type of thing will show up quickly. How does the bike look? How does it start cold? (feel the head for heat to make sure it wasn't started just before u got there) any drippings? underframe bangups? If it comes with a lot of extras then the owner probably replaced what was needed and anticipated the needs of the bike. Look at the spot where it gets parked and discover any case leaks. 

The KDX is considered the ultimate offroad machine by many. A stock KDX has a lot of performance just waiting to be set free as you grow into the sport. 

Chief

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Seems like a well taken care of bike. You probably have no idea what it would feel like to ride it. Take your time. Before you buy you have to know what you really want, which means it's a learning process. Stock I guess that bike went for 4 grand or less, plus he's negotiable. Depending on what extras you are getting this might be a sweet deal, IF you want a KDX. Questions I like to ask when buying anything used is 'What does it need, Could you tell me anything that will need repair, why are you selling it? It's amazing what most people will tell you if you just ask the right questions. If anyone gets pissy on you then just move on and find a fair seller. There are always more people who need to sell their bike. Selling a bike is not always easy so you should have the upper hand. If you take your time you will be glad you did for years to come.

Joe Chief

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
My 1996 KDX 200 was $1500 with FMF pipe and silencer, Acerbis bark busters, and Rethenal sprocket and bars. It needed new graphics, a rear fender(MX), and a MX number plate. He even threw in a new piston and a set of graphics and rings but it ran fine. The owner had to get rid of it because of back trouble.

At $2500 I would get that bike fast. It looks brand new and is loaded with everything. Go see if it runs good, it may need jetted and ride it if you can to see if it pulls itself. Most KDX's newer than 1995 go for $2000 to $3000 in good condition. They are about $4000 new. My dads 6'1" and put XR400 springs in the forks and FMF pipes on his 220; it pulls him good.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
$2500 seems a little steep, you should be able to get a good 2000 model for that price. My brother got his 2000 KDX with dual sport kit, and a lot of extras for $2800. If you can afford new, best to negotiate a good deal with a dealer - Should be OTD for $4200. cycletrader has new listed starting at $3800. with 2003 just over 3g's

For this price you could pick up a fairly new Gas Gas - wasn't there somebody here at DRN who has/had a 300 for sale in this price range ?

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I understand, we all got our crosses bud. What kind a bike??????? How did it feel? Did you get to ride it offroad??? Don't get too anxious. Inquiring minds want to know :laugh:

Bunda has a pt. LOTTA CHOICES OUT THERE !!!!!  

D Chief

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Enduro_Nut has/had a Gas Gas XC300 for sale - check out the for sale forum here at DRN

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Well dudes.... today was my first ride on a dirtbike, I must tell you that it was quite amazing and addicting, my dad had to tell me to get off! lol.....I test drove a used Honda 230cc and a KDX 200.........i definately like the 4 stroke better, but I found a yamaha TT-R250 which seems to meet the newbie standards for me! Man lemme tell you though, I popped the clutch only once on the Honda and after that it took a lil bit getting use to, but i had a HUGE smile on my face the whole time. The KDX was a private seller, and he asked if I wanted to start it up and ride it. needless to say i did and made a fool out of my self when i popped the clutch at least 5 times before i got going!!!! lol anyways, my dad is getting interested in this stuff to which is nice. Well, I have another 500 bux to go in the ole' account to afford the bike I want (TT-R250) so i guess i have a month or so to chat around with you guys. (BTW, do dealers negotiate prices on new bikes, like cars do?) THANKS DUDES!!!!

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by jlgedge03
Well dudes.... today was my first ride on a dirtbike, I must tell you that it was quite amazing and addicting, my dad had to tell me to get off! lol.....I test drove a used Honda 230cc and a KDX 200.........i definately like the 4 stroke better, but I found a yamaha TT-R250 which seems to meet the newbie standards for me! Man lemme tell you though, I popped the clutch only once on the Honda and after that it took a lil bit getting use to, but i had a HUGE smile on my face the whole time. The KDX was a private seller, and he asked if I wanted to start it up and ride it. needless to say i did and made a fool out of my self when i popped the clutch at least 5 times before i got going!!!! lol anyways, my dad is getting interested in this stuff to which is nice. Well, I have another 500 bux to go in the ole' account to afford the bike I want (TT-R250) so i guess i have a month or so to chat around with you guys. (BTW, do dealers negotiate prices on new bikes, like cars do?) THANKS DUDES!!!!

Depends on the dealer, give them a call..

So wait, did you actually get to ride the KDX200 or did you base your experience on not being able to start it? (no offense intended!)

Because many peoples first impressions are that 2-strokes are cooler than 4-strokes because of their powerband, hit, and their sound. I am one of them, and I have a KDX 200. Sick bike that you should deffinetly look into more.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Falling down, Stalling, Looking clumsy, dumb wipeouts. All things that I've gotten used to after doing it in front of other people. My first good wipeout was going down a steep coal hill w/ all new riding buds watching on. I had no reason to go down, yet I did. It was nice to be met with a good round of applause :thumb: Now all I care about is coming home in one piece :laugh:

One of the guys I ride with had a TTR 180 last year. I must admit it was an excellent beginner bike. He traded up to an ATK 125 which is a total woods bike that rips once you get on it hard, and is also street legal (barely).

Last year he just liked to 'cruise', now w/ the 2 stroke his new hobby is pestering us guys w/ the 250's on the trails (he never misses a beat) and dragracing other bikes. He is over 6' and weighs 180lbs btw. I'm closer to 200 lbs and it still works just fine for me.

When I bought my bike after a 17 year layoff I have to say it was downright disgusting and brutal to ride. I hated it at times. Now after riding it for a little more than 2 years, softening up the suspension, and tuning to my likeing I am pretty happy with it. (all credit to DRN members) I can walk now after I ride. My brother who doesn't really ride much took it for a ride around the yard the other day and pretty much said what I expected; It's just too harsh and too much. He never rides and really doesn't care to.

The tricky part here is to get a bike that you can learn on with a fair amount of comfort, yet will have enough umph to suit you as you will certainly get more skilled, aggressive, and gutsy as you ride. Probably within a month or 2 of riding. You really don't want to be trading up in 2 months or wishing you bought something different. Then again, maybe you'll be lucky enough to have your dad buy it off you for himself!!!!!! I wish mine would.

I do agree that the KDX is an excellent bike for your situation. Also a 125 2 stroke mx or 250 4 stroke mx might do ok too once you get used to it. The 4 strokes are definetely smoother, but they weigh more and you will feel it on the trail. (bring it on)  Have to admit the 4 stroke 250's feel pretty light on the showroom floor. Something like that 230 you talked about.

Keep Shopping and have fun!!! also keep us posted. It's always great to see someone new coming into the (sport?)

Chief

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
hehe, actually i found a 2000 CR250 on cycle trader for 2900....i know i know its a beast, but its a sweet bike with a sweet price!..............btw, i drove my first 250KX at a pawn shop today, i was poppin wheelies like no other! HAHA!!!!!! yall think this would be a decent trail bike as well??? (CR250)?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
let's just hope the last laugh is not on you - For a newbie, the KDX200/220 is more than enough bike. Most 250 MX bikes are OK for trail riding, but can be a handfull in inexperienced hands - try looking for a more enduro orientated bike - you don't want to hurt yourself. Enduro_Nut sent me this link Gas Gas EC300 for $2500 - looks to be a sweet bike. http://homepage.mac.com/dbl0busa/PhotoAlbum13.html

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I don't know if the 2000 CR250 is a good trail bike. Stock it most likely will need suspension mods just to start with. I've never ridden one so I don't know.

I've ridden my friend's 92 KX250 and that is rebuilt top and bottom end. It is in impeccable condition. Power delivery is strong but very smooth. The suspension is the best I've ridden on trails. not too mushy, not too stiff. I can sit down a lot more on his bike than mine and maintain control. Maybe the suspensions on a lot of bikes made 10 years ago were similar. To me it is one of the best trailbikes made. The difference between that and a new one might make the new one tougher for woods/trails. 

I think BonduBasher is right. A newer 250mx can be a handful. They also tend to be very harsh for woods in the suspension dept. You'll only know for sure when you get it offroad. With that said, there is also a good chance (though somewhat less) that you will hurt yourself if you get too crazy on any bike. They all feel like fun toys (which they are) until you get thrown. The suspension if set up right, will allow you to ride smoother, faster, safer, and with a lot less fatique. Even a bike with less power is worth more than a bigger bike if you can ride it more comfortably without having to fight every little bump. 

Most folk will tell ya to be careful what you buy because it really sucks when anyone gets hurt on a bike.

I guess I've rambled enough for now ;)

Joe Chief    

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I recomend the KDX but the Pampera is a great bike too. Hey Bundu, whats the GasGas like? I tried to ride one but they're pretty rare where I live. Is it street legal?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The Pampera is a great bike for the short, the old, and the fairer sex, it is a 3/4 enduro bike with a TXT trials engine. It has a lot of torque, and is very easy to ride, climbs hills like a mountain goat, and is good looking too. This is not a race bike, does not like jumps or much air time, and is best suited to tight technical trails, wide open spaces it does not like. It does need some minor suspension work if you wish to go fast. I ride slow, so I have left my bike stock.

As a guy nearing 40, with a short inseam, and limited ability, this bike suits me perfectly. It costs more than a KDX, and as the MKIII came out in 2000 you will not find many used ones. If you like to race and jump, the EC250/300 may be a better bet.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Thanks. I like to go fast and jump a little so the KDX200 what I got. Yeah the KTM200EXC is better than the KDX if you like to jump/race a little.

Top Bottom