theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Hello All,

I'm registered here because I am wanting to buy a dirt bike for my 5 year old son and I'm trying to decide which bike would be the best choice. Actually, he will be 5 in January. At the present, I don't own a dirt bike myself. I have had a yamaha enduro 80 and a MX100 when I was younger. I ride the twisties on a Suzuki sv650s.

For now, I have narrowed my choice down to the Honda CRF50F and the Kawasaki KDX50. Obviously, the Honda is a 4 stroke and the Kawi is a 2 stroke. Likewise, the Honda is a 3 speed and the Kawi is a single speed. There are other differences as I'm sure you all know better than I do.

This bike will be for a 5 year old boy. He is average size and height. He rides his bicycle without training wheels. I really don't know what type of riding he will get into. I probably need a bike that is versatile. Also, there is a little brother waiting his turn to ride too. He will be three in march and is a little bigger than brother was at the same age. He cannot, as of yet, ride without training wheels. But how many 2 year olds can? Which bike should I get and why?

Honda quality?
Kawi size?
Honda size?
2 stroke?
4 stroke?

Help!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Either of those bikes along with the Yamaha PW50 would be fine starter bikes. My personal choice if your son is tall enough would be the CRF50F for the simple reason that around here you can sell those after a few seasons for dang near what you paid for them as long as you take care of them. The KDX50 is simply a Suzuki JR50 in Green plastic so check both dealers for pricing before making the purchase decision if you decide to go that route.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Sit your boy on several bikes. If he fits one perfectly now, DO NOT BUY IT. Because next summer it won't fit him.

When my boy was almost 6 I got him a PW80 (August '02.) He could barely tippy toe balance on it. But now that he's almost 7 he rides it like a pro. Next summer he'll be manhandling it and pestering me for something bigger and faster.

He'll probably get something bigger for summer '05 and lil' sis will start out on the PW80. She'll be almost 5 at that point.

Top Bottom