Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Greetings,

Well the time has come and I am considering upgrading bike, or I am looking for your opinion on my situation. I have a 96 360 exc I like but feel I could have a better bike with regards to suspension and riding more in the revs. I like it but I am wondering weather to get 99 KX 250 tricked out (big tank, flywheel, suspension) or maybe an 01 250 exc. Mostly trail riding and hopes for a hare scramble or 2 sometime this year or the next for sure. The kx is nice and smooth, originally set up for hare scrambles. The 01 exc is stock, with some mild mods and have not had a chance to ride yet.

I am wondering if I should get suspension done on the 360 or should I take the advantages of the kx or exc. I just am needing any opinions to nudge me a bit. Something tells me I might not get the suspension as nice as the kx, or newer exc, but thing is overall the 360 can be a lot to handle when kicking it back up, seems that way the more intense and ride and I stall or do something stupid as I get more intense, part of my learning curve.
But it has been a pretty good bike overall given its overall design. I can putt low real nice with it too.

So given Michigan trails, and all, what would you ride if you had a choice and where thinking about selling or getting another bike?

Your response is appreciated.

Jim

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd go for the EXC or XCW! The 250 or 200, both are great bikes! Just find one that hasn’t been whipped on to hard. As for the suspension have Lansing Cycle do there magic to it, you'll love there woods set up.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
I agree with 70marlin. Have Lansing Cycle(Enduro Engineering)do your suspension if you buy a pumpkin. They won't set you up with a fluffy foo-foo deal but something that seems to work pretty well in the Michigan woods. I enjoy my 06 250xc-w very much, nice ergos, sweet power now if I could just use the bike closer to its potential. I rode an 02 kx250 for awhile and it was not nearly as much fun to ride in the woods. I had a ton of suspension work done, heavy flywheel and it still hit too hard in a lot of situations not to mention the frame being stiff making the ride quality feel harsh after ten miles. Good luck with the decision you make! :ride:

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I had a feeling the ktm may be the better choice here....any issues with the 01 250 exc?

Thanks so much for the input.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I am looking at an 04 200 exc, nice bike, used but clean. Anyone know Mark Heim and what you may think of this bike for sale?

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
That or I will role with a kx250 set up for hare scrambles, and hold off on a ktm til next summer, just kinda not feeling real hip on spending this much since it has been used a bit, but seems to be in good order.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
With KTM's the newer the better starting with the '00s. The first few years of USD forks werent' the best, but in '04 they upped them to 48mm and then both forks and shock continued to improve. After riding them for the last several years back-to-back, I have to say that the 2007s now have me ready to jump.

geraldo

Oct 12, 2004
If you really want the kx 250 get it. I know that mine can be a beast in close quarters when the power hits, but it is set up for motocross. The KTM's are pretty much designed for the riding you are planning on doing. Any choice is a good choice.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
You know, I am thinking about this and that is tought, spend less on a really nice woods/harescramble kx 250 or spend much more on the right bike. I am trying to justify the expense, because next year I would like to try to get an 07.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Asrith said:
You know, I am thinking about this and that is tought, spend less on a really nice woods/harescramble kx 250 or spend much more on the right bike. I am trying to justify the expense, because next year I would like to try to get an 07.

just save your money and buy my super trick 2007 250 XC-W, it will be for sale this winter.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Sounds good Fred, any idea what you will be asking...sounds like a good idea.
I better get you a deposit....lol...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Asrith said:
Sounds good Fred, any idea what you will be asking...sounds like a good idea.
I better get you a deposit....lol...

PM me if you are serious. Wolfie likes his still.
FT

Top Bottom