bob_timber

Sep 27, 2001
This message was originally posted to the DSN_DR forum at
groups.yahoo.com - i think it is interesting.

Here is the message:

begin-------------------------------------------------------

My 96 DR350SE has now about 51000 km (28300 miles) on the clock and still runs good (had no problems with the engine). I change the oil every 6000 km (3000 miles - as stated in the manual). I run the bike 70% time offroad, the rest of the time is spent for commuting to offroad riding areas.

This means that I changed the oil on my bike about 10 times (1.9Lx10=19L of used oil), if I would change the oil every 500 miles I would have changed it 57 times that is 57x1.9L - 19L=108.3L 19L=89.3L of wasted (almost new) oil.

The manufacturers should make bikes that would require even less maintenance not like some newer KTMs, Huskys, Yamahas, Hondas ...

A really bead example of bad engineering is the new CRF (separated tranny/engine oil) or the KTM EXC400/520 (two oil filters and you have to change the oil+filters every 15 hours ?!?!) - why would anyone make such a complicated and expensive engine (for racing purpose!!!) if you still have to change the oil so often (not to talk about other maintenance)? For that purpose more simple engines like the old Huskys had should be used (basicly a two stroke engine with a fourstroke top end - no oil pumps, very simple maintenance).

I'm kind of sick of people giving advice to others to change the oil so often. Who wants to change oil every 500 miles, after every ride ? It is not ecological, it is not cheap, it is a pain in the a.... Who would want a Ferrari if you would have to do an oil change every 500 miles ? (I guess you can compare a Ferrari to a CRF450 ?)

I think changing oil every 500 miles is a waste of money - why even bothering to buy a fourstroke that needs oil changes every 500 miles - it is like having a two smoke.

Klaus

end----------------------------------

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I guess if you want to change your oil as often as your plugs you have to be content with riding around with glorified lawnmower technology powering your bike. As for me I'll gladly change my pistons every 15racing hours and my oil every ride to have a real engine in my bike. Can't wait to dig into my new CRF.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The smart feller who posted that apparently doesn't realise that the reason for changing oil so often is not because of oil breakdown.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The smart feller who wrote that was probably annoyed when they took the starter crank off the front of his car and the oil lamps off of his street.:silly:

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
Klaus,
Have you ever examined the oil that comes out of a YZ/WR after 100 hard miles? I once ran mine for 140 miles, and the oil that came out looked almost like my car oil after 7000 miles! The DR is a diff. world as far as technology, and just like a VW Beetle will last longer than your Ferarri, your DR will plod into the next millenium, while the YZ's and CRF's get churned into high performance dust within several years.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've seen the oil analysis from Formula Atlantic engines running Mobil 1 for less than 100 racing miles. You wouldn't want that oil in there if you had the opportunity to change it.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
$9.44 for 5 qrts of 15w40 at wal mart.
Its a good oil and thats what I use .( Straight 30wt summer)
I change it every ride or between 1-3 hrs of actual time.
Oil is cheap trans parts are not.
Not to mention the down time.

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
The CRF breaks the oil down very fast. It is because it holds less than a quart per side and it runs pretty hot. I change mine at least every other ride. Cheap insurance.

red rulz

Jul 19, 2001
DR 350= Low performance
CRF= very high performance
DR 350's are made to run along time with low maintanence others arnt, high performance comes at a cost and thats high maintanence. Seperate tranny and engine oil is a great idea and it's about time someone started using it. DR 350's are slow which = low maintanince, my 80 KDX 175 Will easily drag of my freinds 99 DR 350.

ThumpinTahoe

Jan 19, 2002
I thought that seperating the oils on the crf was a great idea. It is bound to reduce engine wear. I can't believe they didn't start doing it sooner.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by ThumpinTahoe
I thought that seperating the oils on the crf was a great idea. It is bound to reduce engine wear. I can't believe they didn't start doing it sooner.

I serviced a 81 BMW R85 last week, they have seperate tranny & engine chambers in the same cases, I wonder if old Klaus would slam a beemer as fast as a honda. the guy sounds like tree hugger that rides a dr to save gas and the worlds oil supply. By the way, dosent a dr hold almost 3 times the oil of the eco-challenged crf?

some people just don't get it, the yzf's & crf's of this world were not built to save oil, gas or tires, thats why there so damn fun!

Top Bottom