ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
hey guys. i can get a really sweet deal on a 99 RM 250 (almost free), but the problem is that it has absoutly no plastic with it. i have seen complete plastic on e*** and other sites for relitivley good pricing. has anyone had any experience with 2001 to 2003 rm 250 plastic on a pre 2001 model rm 250? the two areas that i can see potential problems is where the side panels integrate with the airbox, and the other is the frame geometry from the footpegs up to where the backbone of the frame meet, looks like slightly more of an angle. any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Nothing will switch over but the front fender. We wanted to switch my boys 98 over to the new yellow........but all the older plastic is the older/darker yellow. We ended up with a new front fender, black shrouds and rear fender, a new seat cover with some "new yellow" on it.......no grafix, just a red "S".

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
what were the reasons that the newer plastic woulnd fit? were the mounts for the tank in different places or was it the the backbone and spar angles that were the problem? could there be any slight modifications done to make it work? i know that the air box/ side panel willnot work unless the airbox is changed to the newer one.

the bike i bought is actually a 2000 model and it didnt have any plastic with it. it is easier to find the newer plastic than it is for the older stuff.

Sep 8, 2006
I have spent many an hour comtemplating this switch. I have a 2000 rm 125 that uses the same plastic as the 250. I have even gone as far as to buy some used 2001-2006 plastic. As far as I have been able to figure out I think it will work. First, you will definitely need the newer gas tank. Second, you will need the newer seat because the geometry of the gas tank is much different. The newer seat is very flat, meaning that it does not have the arch at the front that the older models have. The panels can be easily made to fit. I have done this myself and it works. The airbox has two layers of plastic, an outside, and an inside. Be sure to only cut the outside. Put the rear fender on first which is a little different as well and the put the panels on. For me, the panels also required that I use a small piece of metal with two holes to move the bottom bolt back about an inch. After that, you are on your own. I have yet to put the tank and seat combo on and see if that works. I am actually a little concerned that "arch", or lack there of, of the seat will cause a problem. If that is the case than I may try and 01' subframe and airbox. I know all of this sounds nuts but its been kinda fun in a weird way. By the way, let me know what you end up doing.

Lot of luck,
Michael Averett

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
thanks for the info. i have a seat and tank on the way, and the rest of the plastic is on hold until i get the tank. i am going to replace the air box as well. i was able to get the tank for 41.00 on evilbay and the seat for 22.00 so it isnt that big of an expence.

thanks again.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
new plastic update.

so far the tank and seat seam to fit o.k. i will have to move the seat brackets back by about 1/2 inch. still wating on the airbox and side panels to get the final answer, but i think it should all work out. i'll post again when i get more done.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
rear fender needs some modification to fit , but it does fit. side panels needs mods as well but they also work. the hardest part so far has been the air box modification. lots of cutting to make the side panels fit. i might need to use an automotive fiberglas kit to make a cover to clean up the airbox mods. the bottom mount for the side panels has to be moved , i think the best way will be to use an insert into the airbox and bolt the side panel there. also the bottom mount of the rad shroud is in a different location. might have to drill a new hole in the side of the rad structure and then move the mounting clip thing there. or use a zip tie or somthing. the seat brackets have to be moved about an inch towards the back. i am still trying to figure out how to bolt the tank down as the mounts are slightly off line. i bought an 03 airbox on **** and i can tell you it will not work, there is no way as the subframe geometry is much different. the only thing that fits with no modification is the front fender, but then the number plate wil not fit. i had to change the way the front plate is mounted, but that is a realtivley easy job. i cant post any pictures , so if someone wants to p.m me, i can send you some j pegs. this is still a work in progress and will take some time before its totally completed.

PGHRam

Aug 1, 2007
I have a set of plastic from a 97 CR250 that should work. Ill sell them to you cheap if you are interested? Fron fender, rear fender, both sides, and both shrouds. Give me your email address and I'll send pics.
Let me know.

Thanks.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
i dont think plastic from another brand would work. i have all the plastic that is required, just moding it to work on an older frame.

thanks for the offer anyway.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
looks like everything will work. i have the tank,seat,side panels, front and rear fender and the front number plate installed. its deffinatley not factory finish and fit as of now but it does all work with a little modification.

Top Bottom