Newly purchased KDX220 questions

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
thanks to those on this site for recommending the KDX, I hope to have some fun on it.

Picked up a barely used 2002 KDX220R that was purchased new in March 2003. I think the owner said he went through maybe 4 tanks of gas on the bike and it sure looks it. I don't think there is a speck of dust on the thing anywhere.

Anyway, I do have some short questions.

1. Anything I should do prior to running the bike for the first time? The guy who sold it said the chain should be lubed. I also read the owners manual and does anyone really reomve the head, pistons and crank after just a few hours of running the bike?

2. This is the easiest question. What is the best way to get the bike in and out of a pick-up bed? We got it in at the guys place cause he had a nice retaining wall about the right height. Getting it out at home was difficult and required a neighbor to help me as I only had a 4-5 foot long piece of 2X8 and a car ramp. I looked at metal folding ramps and I looked at some "fixture" that you bolt wood planks to. Anything else out there that worlks real well with one person. I'll have 2 bikes in the bed if that makes a difference.
Any special techniques and tips and tricks to share.

I'm certain there will be more questions to come.

Thanks again -

MArk

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Word around the campfire is that you should lube the steering and swingarm bearings ASAP after buying a new KDX. Apparently the factory doesn't put near enough in there.

As for the bed... One of my riding buds just uses an 8 foot 2x8or 10 with one of the "fixtures" you mentioned. It works pretty well, but if the truck is a bit higher it can be a pain solo. Compact trucks and 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton trucks shouldn't be a problem, though. I have another friend who has this aluminum ramp contraption that folds lengthwise 3 times. When he unfolds it it's damn near as wide as his pickup bed. He just sets it on the bed then rides right up it. If you do that it'd be pretty easy, but keep in mind that you'll want the ramp-truck junction to be somewhat secure. It'd suck to get 1/2 way up the ramp and have it drop off the tailgate.

Congrats on your buy, you'll have a lot of fun riding it.

-Dawg

:flame:

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I just use a 2" X 12" board with the metal ramp attachment, trimmed to fit in my bed with the tailgate shut. I think it comes out to a little less than 6 ft. If you have a fullsize truck it can be difficult. I have a Dakota so it is pretty easy to load by myself. But the longer your board is the easier it will be to walk it into the bed. Usually I just push it as far as I can reach, then apply the front brake and pull myself up then push the bike in the rest of the way.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I have been using one of the $50 aluminum motorcycle ramps for years and several bikes. It is light and easy to use and I believe considerably safer than the 2x8s I used before. Just call it part of your gear and do it right! For a full size truck, many shorter loaders use one of the plastic "file or Parts" baskets upside down for a step. It is a lot more fun if your bike is easy to load/unload.

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I use a tri-fold atv ramp to load my KDX. I know it's bigger than what I need but I my Ram is lifted so I need the extra stability. With this ramp I can load my bike alone. I put it in gear and walk up with it while I am feathering the clutch. I rode it up the last time.

Congrats

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
Congratulations on the new 220.
Should make you feel on top of the world, having a new bike is one of the best feelings around.
I have not done the head on mine and have +-400mls and no worries yet.
But I would not give her a real work out untill you have given the bike a fair amount of regular riding.
Take note of the sreering head and rear suspention warning, when I stripped mine down new from the stealership all of that was dry including the front and rear axles.
Enjoy the bike.

Top Bottom