NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Worth the $

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have heard a great deal about the New NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. According to NGK "Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever." "The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture there iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry!" "Spark plugs with fine wire center electrodes operate better for two reasons, first, a smaller center electrode requires less voltage to jump the gap. This means fewer misfires, which will be seen in higher mileage and more horsepower. The second reason is smaller center electrodes reduces quenching." From NGK it is $6.95. A standard Spark plug is $2.95.

Does Anyone run this? How does it perform? :ride:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I haven't tried an -EIX plug. I prefer the -EG series to the -ES series. You will find others that think there is no difference between the two, so 'save your $$' is their point of view.

Doesn't seem unreasonable that a further refinement would be another step better.

Some things just make no sense whatsoever....like multiple ground straps. You can't argue with electrical facts, like sparks like to leave a sharp edge as opposed to a fat, smooth one. Whether that would relate to any real-world impact would be up to the individual.

I'm sure NGK would rather sell a million iridium plugs than a million nickel plugs.

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Love the Iridium

I started using the Iridium plug about 6 or 7 months ago. I forgot about it and never changed it yet. I haven't had a reason to because it perfomed flawlessly. I am going to check it this week before we ride again, but it has worked great for me. Please don't take this as any scientific study, but for a year and a half prior I used the standard NGK plugs, and found I needed to change them about every month or so, not fouled but not crisp. Yes I know the jetting was not spot on, but the new Iridium seemed more crisp. I guess in the big picture another 5 bucks for a better spark plug doesn't bother me. Having fun is the number one priority.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I use one and couldn't tell it from a standard plug thats fresh. I do notice that the tip remains clean and almost new looking so it keeps it's sharp edge longer. I am worried that the insulator will fail before the plug starts missing and that can cause some problems. If you use one, plan on replacement at some specific interval, say once a year just so you don't have any problems with the thing freezing in it's hole if nothing else. I would suspect that it will fire better in an engine that is running rich and prevent fouling. Especially if your bike is prone to foul; long downhills, etc.
I plan in the future to use a regular plug and change it out every 300 miles and keep an iridium for races only since I don't want problems during a race and would not mind swapping out a plug on a play ride day.
With all that said, I run iridiums in my road bike, a Kawasaki voyager. That bike is a pain to change the plugs. I figure I will never need to touch them again during it's lifetime of my riding it. Use antiseize if you try this though.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
I attended a tech seminar given by the NGK tech rep for canada. His primary job on all the NGK sponsored race teams was diagnosing fuel, ignition and timing problems through reading spark plugs. The Iridium spark plug was designed for vehicles with 100000+km tune up intervels. The high temp coating on the plug body ensures that the plug won't seize in the head after the long service intervel. As explained to me the fine wire electrode is more capable to fire imperfect mixtures better than a standard plug. It will allow you a slightly greater margin of error before fouling . Bottom line for me is there is more perfomance and economy in swapping brass than swapping in a $10 plug that will still foul when you dump it on that nasty hill climb through the trees. :think:

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
I put a ngkbr8es in my yz about thirty hours ago still looks new, little to no electrode wear. The bike is a 250f spanker and for the price of 2 bucks each I can buy three in case one fouls...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: br8es and 'wear'

That's nice but it isn't really pertinent, is it? Particularly if used in a yzf.

re:
I am worried that the insulator will fail.... If you use one, plan on replacement at some specific interval, say once a year just so you don't have any problems .

I can show you what a piston looks like when a plug comes apart :(, which is exactly what happened with an -EG plug I had used in my bike for over a year. In the sand (hi load, WOT-all-the-time) there was this piston crown porting problem after some plug parts bounced around for about...oh, a handful of milliseconds.....

Point is I agree that changing the plug every six months or so, particularly if you are using a fine-wire plug, is a good part of your maintenance plan.

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
Well Mr.Smartypants the -es is used in a yz not a yzf and wear is pertinent as the electrodes wear resistance changes resulting in a less intense spark arcing for a longer duration and changing the characteristics of the flame front....in the words of Mr.Knowitall, "truly,you should have known"

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The bike is a 250f ...

Yeah. WHERE would I get any idea the bike you refer to has anything to do with 'F'?

I defer to your lucidity and obvious intelligence on this issue.

For the express purpose of understanding your confused glibness I looked at your profile to see a yz125 listed, so I didn't understand what the '250F' part had to do with anything...which is why my reply included the word 'if'.

But then, I also admit I couldn't define a 'spanker' either.

I am such an incredible idiot and malfeasant moron as to be laughable.

When I turn twenty years of age, I can only hope to have gained by then some small bit of understanding. Maybe you should hope to attain the same?

Ooops! Too late!!

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
Aside from the Websters dictionary definition of spanker,spanker can be used as a term to define many things.Heck,the British probably use it for 10 different meanings alone.Anywho,when using a fine wire plug like a EG,it's always a good idea to check it often for cracks or wierd stuff going on.I had one last summer that had very few hours on it and happen to catch it before it destroyed my piston.So now I'm wondering,how do they check every spark plug they make?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
So now I'm wondering,how do they check every spark plug they make?

They obviously run them in a yz (the F250 spanker ones) for about thirty hours..... Then (them still looking 'new'), they box'em up and sell 'em.

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
Mr. JasonWho I don't need respect from insecure, intellectual inferiors thank you very much.... :moon:I feel sorry for the individual who gets his "jollys" disputing meaningless issues and insulting peoples screennames, simply pathetic :| This is a dirtbike web site lets have some fun and try to keep the clefs up ;)

P.S. I know that basic math can be challenging but 6-20-84 was 19 years ago

Last edited:

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Back to the original post, kids....

I'm running the BR8-EG. I noticed a little more "crispness" with this one rather than the -ES. Have yet to foul one either, but there again my jetting is spot-on. It could be that I'm just trying justify the $5 plug instead of the $2.50 one, too. I have yet to try the high-rent iridium plug yet...

Top Bottom