ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Just had my tire replaced at the shop and they tried to tighten my spokes but said they are frozen to the spokes. They said i need to spray some pb blaster or some kind of penetrating oil on the nipples and let them soak overnight and hold the spokes w/ vice grips and break the nipple lose so that i can actually tighten them.

Would WD40 work okay?

I tried to tighten them a few weeks ago and the nipples turn the whole spoke. Is that not supposed to happen?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No that's not supposed to happen. Spray some break free or anti seize stuff on them. WD may work but penetrating fluid is better. If they won't free up you'll need to get some spokes replaced, fairly cheap and easy to do. In the future, make sure you don't shoot water directly into the nipple area (that sounds funny), anyway, and after you ride through water, or before, spray some WD on them. Spraying the anti-seize after a clean up will help alot. Moving the nipples around on the spoke every once and while will ensure non-stickage!

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
a454elk said:
No that's not supposed to happen. Spray some break free or anti seize stuff on them. WD may work but penetrating fluid is better. If they won't free up you'll need to get some spokes replaced, fairly cheap and easy to do. In the future, make sure you don't shoot water directly into the nipple area (that sounds funny), anyway, and after you ride through water, or before, spray some WD on them. Spraying the anti-seize after a clean up will help alot. Moving the nipples around on the spoke every once and while will ensure non-stickage!

Good deal! Thanks bro!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Anytime. ;)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
When I had that problem I had to use Liquid Wrench and two pair of vice grips to get several of them loose - boogered 'em up pretty good. :( I tend to keep a closer eye on them now.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I hope the OP is doing this with the tire removed. That way he can soak from both directions and use a big flat screwdriver on the end of the nipples. The nipples are pretty soft and vice grips will just tear them up.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
dezryder said:
I hope the OP is doing this with the tire removed. That way he can soak from both directions and use a big flat screwdriver on the end of the nipples. The nipples are pretty soft and vice grips will just tear them up.

No, I used a regular wrench on the nipples, but I needed 2 vice grips to hold the spokes from turning.

Top Bottom