nitrogen or air

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Tools like plasma arc cutting rigs depend on clean, dry air for proper operation.

Agreed, I happen to have one of these myself :)

While we are on the subject, Nitrogen is/has been used in plasma cutters (Argon as well). Since these are both inert gases, could Argon be used to fill a shock? I just happen to have a bottle of Argon kicking around for Mig welding Aluminum.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
I wonder if Jeremy ever explained the picture he posted of the shock body that had exploded.

Never saw the picture but I remember this thread:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=65827

Jeremy has said on a couple occasions that air is "OK to use in a pinch".

Houndog,

I would think that argon would work. Argon and nitrogen are both commonly used as shielding gases for mig and tig welding.

At work, we seal gyroscope atitude indicators (avionics) in a metal box/can and charge them with helium so they run the same at high altitudes as they do on the ground. I think moisture/condensation avoidance is a concern too. Seems like helium would work in a shock too. Maybe that's why those SX guys can jump so high!

west

Nov 12, 2002
Call me stupid but the main reason to use nitrogen in auto racing is because nitrogen is an inert gas. Nitrogen is not effected by temp therefore does not increase or decrease pressure based on temp. That equals stable set up for conditions regaurdless of temp. Is performance or reliability the issue I'm confused!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Nitrogen does increase/decrease with temperature, as do all gases. And, all pure gases increase/decrease at the same rate.

"Air" is seventy-some percent nitrogen. It is the moisture in air that could possibly cause a problem in the discussed applications.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
Jay bird,
I thoguht that tires change pressures in the cold morning and afternoon not because of the moisture, but because of the addition or reduction of kinetic energy(from the change in ambient temperature,sulnight, friction etc) to air molecules contained in the tire and the resulting increase of force against the tire and anything it touches. I can see how moisture would affect this as you said but for anything short of drastically cold (32 degrees) temperatures i think that boyles law as it applies to gasses would be much more relevent than small amounts of water vapor, water or ice.
just my .02 correct me if im wrong
Tim

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…