ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Can someone explain to me why RC is choosing not to ride with the plate he earned last season. Is he that supersticious? It's kinda weird to not have a number 1 plate on the track. Has anyone done this before?:think

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Maybe the fact that nobody has done that before IS his reason,nobody was supposed to beat MC that bad either:p or maybe he didn't want to wear the #1 plate till he won the SX and outdoor title in the same year which leaves no question as too who's the best:D

Last edited:

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
so in other words...you have no clue?! Has anyone read or heard what RC's logic is?

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
The AMA went to a new numbering system where the top riders last year were able to pick a permanent number (Nascar style). Any rider who is a current champion may chose to run the #1 plate but does not have to. I heard Ricky's mechanic say they were going to stick with the #4 for good luck.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
I was guessing because I haven't been curious enough to find out EXACTLY why,but since you were a bit sarcastic I made a phone call and here is the EXACT reason:Ricky is extremely superstitious and if you were paying attention during the supercross series you would have noticed that he wore orange during his entire win streak,coincidence, nooo.There are only two things that will change his number.1:Honda MAKES him run the #1 plate next year,2:He changes his mind on the luck of #4,and I won't confirm or denie the signing with Honda:p

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Thanks for the inside digging Billy! And all along I guessed it was the marketing/merchandising slant... :)

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
...and if you were paying attention during the supercross series you would have noticed that he wore orange during his entire win streak.

Actually he wore a new white uniform during the Vegas SX. I was paying closer attention than you! ;)

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by JimmyD2

Actually he wore a new white uniform during the Vegas SX. I was paying closer attention than you! ;)

But it did have orange in the design. He also always wore green oakley goggles and a black helmet for his streak.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
He (ricky) also said that, that is the number he wants to be remembered by, and he doesn't want to happen to him, what happened to MC. Even though MC ( is, was, whatever ) the best so far, some fans, critics, think he is all washed up for losing the #1 plate. If RC doesn't run the #1 plate, he will never lose the #1 plate in the fans, critics eye's.

Dale E. of Nascar will always be remembered for being #3, that is what RC is looking to do.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Thanks for the response guys. I kinda thought it was the logic of both the Nascar thing and the superstition thing. I feel it is more the number he wants to be remembered by though. If he was that superstitious, he wouldn't have changed his riding gear for Vegas (I did notice).

And don't be so thin skinned Billywho. I meant no disrespect towards you. I just wanted an answer, not a guess. I could've guessed. Thank you for making the phone call, I appreciate the effort! :D

Top Bottom