No bottom end

cr80 kid

Mar 15, 2004
My 97 CR80 seems to have very very low end rev. When i shift into first i need to constantly gas it when i come to a stop in first with the clutch pulled in. Also when i take off it makes a gurgley sound until i get about mid to high range. But high throttle range is when it kicks into action and you can feel the force and i am forced back. I have a bills pipe on it, i am unsure what type of bills pipe it is. Also it seems that where the expansion chamber connects to the engine there is a slight oil leak. After a day of riding i got off and noticed lots of oil dots all over the front of my frame and on the engine itself. Any comments?

Thanks,
Mike

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Its been my experience that when you have no bottom end but good top end power, usually means low compression, you might need to do a top end rebuild. (rings) The oil spitting out could also be an indicator of worn rings. The slow jet (inside carb) and air jet(screw on outside) control the rich/lean condition at an idle, by turning the screw on the outside of the carb counter clock-wise you will let in more air, ONLY TURN THE SCREW 1/4 TURNS AT A TIME. The more air, the leaner you get, a lean running 2-stroke is the worst thing you can do to a bike, so I say again only a 1/4 turn at a time to see if this helps. The bottom line is you probably need a rebulid, and decarbon the exhaust valve. The oil spitting out the front of the motor is not a big thing just make sure the exhaust isn't plugged and have it resealed. Top end rebuilds aren't to spendy or to difficult, so it shouldn't put a big dent in your pocket! hope this helps- bjawes

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
Bjawles a CR80, has no Power valve to clean please i know you are trying to help but you are not. if the bike has low compression it will not have any power at any throttle opening it will be hard to start. And turning the air screw a quarter turn at a time is also a no no. you could go right past the adjustment you want and never know it. the air screw is for off idle throttle response and that is about all. the CR 80 Exhaust manifolds are notorious for leaking especially when jetted rich and just putted around Atomic 22 sells an after market manifold that uses 2 o-rings that seals way better

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
No, the air screw is for fully closed to 1/4 throttle, and maybe I am wrong about telling some one who isn't a mechanic to adjust an air screw. So sorry for that, but you should check to see if it is at the factory setting (all the way in and then 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns out in most cases). And yes low compression will give you no bottom end but becomes more alive at higher rpm's. bottom line I do not know what is wrong with the bike it may have a clogged slow jet or needle problem, or it may need like I said before a top end rebuild.Travis you are not a mechanic, although you may have been around bikes a long time, and have seen alot of things, and can even help people with common problems, does not put you in any positioin to judge me. Sorry for any confusion- bjawes

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
TravisP said:
Bjawles actually i am a Mechanic and i am sorry if you thought i was judging you.

No harm done, sorry if I came off a little harsh towards you, thanks for writing back. bjawes

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…