No. Cal High Sierras fishing/riding???

steph

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
Promise not to pass on your secret spot.

My father-in-law is coming to visit my wife and I and we would love to take him on a trip to do some camping, riding and high Sierra trout fishing in Northern California (he's quite fit, and doesn't require the standard amenities)----a smaller high mountain lake would be ideally what we want, accessible by off road dirt bike (not street legal).

My vision is this--In the No. Cal Sierras, set up a camp and then ride the bikes up to a small mountain lake for some trout fly fishing---fireroads/logging roads/ forest service roads, as my father has not ridden in quite a while. I

I don't know if such a place exists, but I'm looking....
Thanks, Pete Maguire email: peteandsteph@sbcglobal.net

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I know of a place where you can do that, but it's further south than you mentioned, and no lake, but rather a stream.

There is another closer to you with a high-sierra lakes, but our infamous green-supported senator of that era locked it up and had the green-sticker funded trails closed to motorized travel. Sorry for the bad news.

steph

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
How far from the Oakland to your stream?---you can email me if you like. I think the desired combo will be hard to find, so we can be flexible.

Pete

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Take Hwy 88 to Carson Pass and turn off at Blue Lakes. Head back in there and go nuts on dirt roads and hidden trout ponds. Get a good topo too so you can search out a trip.
Also, From Hwy 89 on the west shore of Lake Tahoe, take the Rubicon / McKinney road back in from the staging area. After about 2 miles you will start passing lakes on your right. The third lake is Miller and does well. Take the dirt road just after Miller to the left and go uphill to Richardson. That one is chock full of brookies.
Take Hwy50 to Ice House road all the way back in to Loon Lake. At the second dam, go down the tailrace and pick up the Rubicon trail and head in to Spider, Lower Buck, Upper Buck, Rockbound Lakes and Rubicon Reservour. The last couple are within the Desolation Wilderness and you will have to park the bikes and hike in from there. This area is spectacular and a very easy hike of 5 miles on improved trail will get you into at least 4 lakes that will provide you bald eagles for fishing compainions. Fall colors are starting to come out and it is still mild temperatures.
Dig out your maps and look up Gold Lakes Basin out of Sierra City and Downeyville. The Buttes will take your breath away and the trails are a not so well kept secret. My favorite is Upper Sardine and at Lower Sardine, you can rent a cabin so you aren't having to rough it too much.
Most mountian lakes haven't turned over yet since the weather has been quite warm still, but there will be almost no one at these spots after Labor Day and you will find fish.
Try using a small night crawler behind a wedding ring or Uncle Larry's. In the streams, use a single #14 hook with an egg and the smallest of splitshots about 18" up the line.
Anyone who takes their dad (or dad-in-law) fishing has a spot reserved in Heaven for them. Good Luck!

steph

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
Skipro3....you're the bomb!!! as my wife would say. I couldn't ask for more. Thanks a ton. Hope to see you up there some time, hope I can return the favor!!!

Pete, Steph and Father-in-law Steve :worship:

Top Bottom