Help No compression after head gasket replacement 02 xr250r

TXR250R

Oct 26, 2020
I recently blew my head gasket on my 02 honda xr250 r, so naturally i tore the top end down replaced the gasket along with a small amout of rtv gasket and sealant maker to seal a little better. So rebuilt everything go to fire and nothing. Its got spark and fuel, no compression. Now when i pulled the cam i took a picture of the timing gear along cam for the positioning of the lobes at tdc. Now i also couldnt remember if it was before or after i removed thefirst or second allen bolt holding the timing gear. I believe t was the second one and i put it back in correctly as itypically work on cars and not small engines. Also what i didnt do was put some kind of bands on the intake lifters when reinstalling the valve cover and was thinking that the lifters are opening at the incorrect timing for the intake cycle.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It sounds like the valve timing is off. A couple of suggestions for whatever you think they are worth. Unless the service manual calls for it specifically you shouldn't be putting random sealants on the head gasket. They tend to have the opposite effect that you're hoping for. The Honda service manual has excellent pictures and a very easy to follow procedure for setting the cam timing along with a host of other useful information. It's a good investment.

You can get the official Honda manual here:
2002 Honda XR250R Service Manual

TXR250R

Oct 26, 2020
Yeah that was going to be the next step. Thats usually the first step when i buy a new vehicle. I also finally had time to mess around with it yesterday and say that the cams and valves arent opening either.

Top Bottom