Doug2087

Oct 29, 2010
Hi. Im new here. Just picked up a 2004 KDX220. The KIPS valve is not functional because it is missing a few parts (previous owner took it apart and lost some of the parts). I have been riding the bike around since I bought it and it runs great. Will it do any harm to run the bike without the KIPS valve working? I am pretty new to 2 strokes and am trying to learn about the power valve system. I plan to find out which parts i need and fix the KIPS valve when I have time. Im happy with the performance of the bike right now (it rips!) but what will I gain with the KIPS valve working? Thanks for any input. Trying to learn!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The big risk is that he didn't "lose a few parts" as in loose them in the garage, but rather sheared off some stupid little pin and lost it down in the crank case...

It would be interesting to do a blind test sometime... do 5 runs with somebody connecting and disconnecting my kips randomly, and see if I could tell. Bet I couldn't, except maybe by listening to the rattling to see if it stops. :)

And you can lock it in position as well... pick if you want the low end boost or the high end boost based on your preferences, and lock it there. I bet most people could do without the low end boost just fine... if they could even notice the difference.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
reepicheep said:
I bet most people could do without the low end boost just fine... if they could even notice the difference.

The main kips valve on my 220 split and wedged itself in the full-open position. You can tell. You can REALLY tell. The difference in low end power is HUGE. I then got it pushed down and finished the ride with the powervalve closed, and again, huge difference in power, the bike just fell flat on it's face probably between 6000-7000 rpm. It was like I lost 10 hp up top.

To the original poster -
Depending what parts are missing or how things are flopping around in there, yes, you could do damage riding the bike. I'd see what it needs and get it fixed.

Doug2087

Oct 29, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should clarify that the missing parts are external (the linkage that actuates the power valve) so the internal valve is fully intact. I bought the bike from a friend of a friend that I feel I can trust, so Im not worried that there are broken parts down in the crankcase. So with that in mind, what position would my power valve be stuck in? Should I be experiencing diminished low end or high end power? The bike seems to have plenty of both, but I guess I am really not a good judge of that since I am not experienced with 2 stroke bikes. A couple of my friends who have some experience rode the bike and they were surprised with the power that it had.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
On my old 86 200 when I got the cylinder replated, a lot of crud got in the shaft bore when it went through the process. I tried to clean all the metal fragments out, but they didn't all come out even after two or three cleanings with solvent, dental pick and compressed air. So fragments would migrate out of some nook or cranny and stick the actuating shaft. I'd be out on a ride and lose all my top end. :whoa: So I'd stop, remove the cover and unbolt the shaft, pull the shaft all the way out for wide open stuff, then push it in for the technical sections. Finally (with a few more cleanings) all the metal shavings worked their way out and the shaft worked properly again. :cool:

Usually the part that people break on later models is the lower part that connects to the centrigal governer in the primary case. The little foot is very brittle (and only about 7 bucks to replace). If that part broke off and the previous guy that worked on the bike didn't get it out of the primary case, it could damage some gears in there.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Mine has always worked (probably the one part of the bike that was operational when I got it), so I really don't know.

But I wonder if after the power valve got stuck, if you then fixed it there and properly jetted for that new condition, if you would get back some portion of what you lost. Is the power drop when the valve goes away completely a result of the valve? Or is it partially the fact that the bike is jetted to the valve being there.

(Please remember I have no facts here, I'm just asking questions...)

Top Bottom