no low end snap

minidog

May 18, 2002
2002 kdx 200, stock engine Running 155 main, needle in middle position, 45 pilot, 1 turn or so out on air screw, # 8 ngk plug, 40;1 mobil mx2t oil. This weekend while riding noticed these things about performance- Would produce off idle slight bog as though running lean then would catch power band and go good- played with air screw from 2 turns out (starting point and ended up at 1/2 turn out) saw an improvement but still slight bog at off idle. When decellerating bike acted as though loading up (crackling noises) like when running rich. Checked plug and was black and oily. Getting ready to do top end soon and kips (thats what Im really after) Temps at about 65 at near sea level. Does this sound like power valve problem or jetting or perhaps something else. Jetting close I think as needle in second from top pos. makes this worse(bogging). Kind of baffled about this as running bike gives every indication of running a little on lean side but plug check and crackling show me opposite. Any comments would be appreciated. Also before I leave would like to comment at one time ran needle in 4th position from top and bike had excellent power with no bogging at all but have not heard anyone comment on running this position on this post.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Important: check that the float is parallel with the carb when the gas valve starts to open. also check that the air filter is clean and the reed valves aren't frayed.
You should try a 42 pilot jet. the pilot circuit should be lean enough that you have to use the choke to start the bike.
How are the rings? worn out will cause loss of low end power.

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
My bike was having the same problem and I dropped the pilot to a 42 and it runs great now. All the time I thought I was having a lean bog it was actually rich! I'm now running a 158 main, 42 pilot, clip in 3rd. This is on a stock '03 200 with the airbox lid removed.

minidog

May 18, 2002
Will try 42 pilot this weekend and will post results asap. Is it a good idea to replace stock ring with a Weisco ring with stock piston or replace whole unit with same brand (piston and rings together)? Reeds look great after inspection.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…