Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok 1983 KX250 and i don't have first gear any more...

I started riding today and it started good but as time went on it started to get harder to shift to first.. I would go straight to neutral and i would have to kick it into first (like harder than normal) And i took my normal path first to second off the jump pinn it and into third.. but i went off track twords a tree nailed the brakes spun it sideways and wrecked (not hitting the tree thank god..) But by left bark buster broke.. (whatever easy fix..) And i picked it up put in in neutral and stood there for a min and started the bike went in a circle (in first gear) and took off up threw 3rd gear and stopped and went to turn around so i kicked into first pinned it and nuttin.. i kicked it agian an nothing would happen.. no grinding no noise no movement.. But every other gear still works..

turned it off and tried to shift to first and nuttin just as if it was in neutral..

So does anyone have any ideas? it wont shift into 1st but shifts nice into any other gear...no clutch slippage and the engine runs good and strong...

I dont want to take the trans appart but i will if i have to... im going to let it cool off and then see what happens.. Im really ticked.. ive been having a bad day all day and now this happens.. :bang:

does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? A gear? cheap/expensive fix? hard/ easy fix?

And ideas would be greatly appreciated... :nod: :cool:

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Mate I just bought a 94 RM with gearbox problems similar to yours, only it had lost a bunch of gears. I pulled the box apart and the shifter forks were stuffed, they have small lobes on the ends of the fingers on the fork, and these wear off in time (im my case cos the previous owner didnt put any oil in it). I am willing to bet your prob is the same one, shifter forks. I reckon you would be best replacing them all, as youll be splitting the case anyway. For my RM they cost $35 US each from bikebandit. Your bike will shift like a new one when you do the job!

Happy to talk through it in detail for you if need be...its not a hard job.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well.. i hope thats it.. And i really don't want to split the cases because.. its going to end up costing me a lot more! probebley a new piston or rings, and seals and all that good stuff... And well.. i have to wait for my dad to help and thats like tearing a limb off... but i will make him help me, and in that time i might paint the frame and clean her all up.. (im actually getting excited...) BUT ill have nothing to ride for awhile.. (the 100 needs a new clutch and a front inner tube.. (i need a job)

anyway sorry for the stories.. And thanks for the help! i appreciate it ALOT!!

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Yeah the gasket and seal kits will set you back a bit, but they arent that bad. At least then you will know everything will be beautiful after you have done the job.

Splitting the case was simple too, mine came apart by hand with a few gentle taps on the crankshat and gearbox shafts (use rubber mallet). Getting to that stage requires completely pulling the motor apart. Use a manual, bag and tag your nuts bolts and pieces, and take digi photos if necessary. Taking it slow at disassembly stage will make reassembly a million times easier.

No worries for the help, its what these forum things are for!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
ok thanks A LOT for the help! I really appreciate it.. But i cant know for sure till i dig in..

Also I cant find the shifting forks for a price online, nor can i find a gasket kit (yet).. Anyone know where to find them?

And if anyone else has an ideah to what they think is wrong, please tell me..

THANKS

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
This is the parts diagram for your 83 KX.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/parts/Kawasaki/KX250(KX250C1)US/1983/332712

The 3 forks are parts 13140, 13140A and 13140B. The one responsible for shifting into 1st is 13140. If I were you I would replace the lot. They are $58 each. However, in a pinch you could get away with just the one, however youll be spewing if you do the job and in 3 months time another fork goes!

Just pull your bike apart first, evaluate all the bits and decide what you need, then order.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
weill.. i might be getting $250.00 and just in time...

But you cant always go by that because i've ordered stuff that was discontinued and they coulden't get it for me.. But maby they still make these parts, ill see when i examine more in depth..

ill go to my local dealer and see whats up.

And thanks for the help so much dude! i REALLY appreciate it, and if i have more questions i will ask you..

thanks

Top Bottom