dkmccarty5

Aug 30, 2000
Heard an interesting rumor from an east coast KTM dealer today. KTM may eliminate the "mxc" lineup, and go to a six speed gearbox on the "exc". Can anyone confirm ?

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
The EXC already has 6 gears........I dont see them getting rid of the MXC....
We are talking 4-strokes right?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
6-speed

Give me a 6 speed 300 of either kind. But if you are only going to give me 5, it better be a MXC!!

I hope the rumour is wrong, and both MXC and EXC get 6-speeds any way.

We are talking 2-strokes right?

dkmccarty5

Aug 30, 2000
no more "mxc"

Sorry for the omission: Yes, we were referring to 2 stroke models. According to our source, KTM feels it is perhaps redundant to have both sx & mxc 2 stroke models, and can perhaps incorporate the majority of the mxc characteristics into the exc line by adding a 6 speed. From a manufacturers standpoint, it would most certainly be a cost savings to integrate the two lines.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Cost savings for who?

There is more than one way to look at cost savings...They may cut down on costs, but it may "cost" them some customers. I dont see it happening....If the do make a change they better share some of the extra profit by lowering the price on their EXC's.

Now if My 380 had a 6 speed.....I would never have wished I got an MXC instead......

burtlamborn

Dec 21, 2000
380EXCman,

I don't understand your comment.

"Now if My 380 had a 6 speed.....I would never have wished I got an MXC instead......"

The EXC has a wider overall transmission ration than the MXC. Undoubtedly a six speed will have even wider overall transmission ratio. What did you mean? I get frustrated with the narrow transmission of my 380 EXC and would love a 6-speed. It would be even WORSE if I had the MXC. Explain?

Burt

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Burt;

I'm going to answer this for my 'ole buddy Veron (380excman). He means the same 1-5 gear ratios on the MXC, and add a sixth gear for top end. That's what I want on my 300 MXC.

Right Veron?? ;)

However Burt, I don't think the 300 exc gearing is narrow. I think the 300 MXC is narrow, which I like. I am always in the powerband.:p Just give me 6th gear. I want to go 90 MPH .

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Hit the nail on the head Strick.....MXC gearing with a 6th would be the sweeeet.....

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
They should keep the sx and exc lines the same. Then, on the mxc line, they should offer desert gearing and suspension, because that's what they mxc is intended for, and where ktm could do well in competitions. The desert racing is an untapped source of customers for ktm, and by fielding a pro team, and doing well, they probably would gain lots of customers. The desert mxc would be the perfect product to offer these new ktm customers. These riders are looking for a better machine than their japanese motocrossers or heavy japanese trailbike, and the ktm would fill in from there.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
My riding friends and I were just discussing this last weekend why the 4strokes get 6 speeds and the 2strokes only 5. The conversation came up because we know of a 520EXC here that has been fitted with a 7 speed! I am not kidding, apparently the shop were the bike was purchased makes the mod, or has it done. I am told that the existing gears are machined thinner [I thought that was already a "weak" point], so that another pair of gears can be fitted for gear 7. If KTM doesn't offer the 6speed 2stroke, maybe it can be done this way. The shop is Beaudry Motorsports in Post Falls, Idaho.

Top Bottom