billy madison

Jan 31, 2007
i had my 1975 dt 250 out one day and it was running pretty good but on my way back to the shed to park it...i couldnt shift into anything above first. someone told me it was the shift drum linkage so i took the clutch cover off to check itand it wasnt working so i asked the person what i had to do to fix it and they said that i would have to split the cases...is there any other way to fix this .....if not how much will it cost to have this fixed because i dont like to mess with the transmission.help i would like to keep the motor and put it back together....i really like this bike it was my first bike help me out please!!!! :(

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
When you mention checking it with the clutch cover off and it not working....do you mean the mechanism is not turning the shift drum? Try removing part # 20. If the shifter mechanism moves good at that point, there's a problem with the shift forks/drum and the cases would need split.
click the following link for the drawing I'm referencing: LINK
I bet the clutch basket needs to be off to do that though.

Roger #491

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
billy madison said:
yes i meant the mechanism that turns the shift drum is not turning it

Billy.

Remove that mechanism and inspect it for wear. Make sure the little return springs are not broken. While the mechanism is off, put the bike up on a stand with the rear wheel off of the ground and while rotating the rear wheel, try to turn the shift drum with your hand. If you can feel the shift drum turn and go into gear then the problem is not in the shift drum, it's in the mechanism. If the shift drum won't turn by hand then remove the detent plunger and spring and try it again. If the shift drum still won't turn, you will have to split the cases.

I strongly suggest that you buy a service manual. It will save you a considerable amount of money in the long run and help you indentify the correct parts and terminology.

Top Bottom