NO Spark... Tried everthing. (long)

04DrBlur

Jun 21, 2005
Alright guys here it goes. Was crankin on the bike (01 RM125) and hit about 4 gear gettin ready to shift to 5th and the bike died. It acted as if it ran out of gas. But indeed had plenty of gas. I took it home and started to diagnose the problem. Well It was getting no spark. So I started with the cheapest and went from there. I replaced the plug, plug boot and ignition coil all first and still no spark. I then tested the stator and it wasnt in spec so I ordered a new stator. When it came in it had the second harness for the power jet in thew carb but my bike has no power jet. I contacted the company and they said bike should be fine just leave it unplugged. (claims his buddy has same deal). So still no spark. However I tried to push start the bike and bam, fired right up and ran great.

Well here is where it gets tricky. If I let the bike die or stall it it wont kick start. If I push start it it fires right up and runs great until it stalls. So i test the ignition coil again and stator and they both are in spec. Both brand new from suzuki. So I order a used CDI just to see what happens and still no dice. Bike only starts if I push start it. So the only thing I haven't replaced as far as ignition goes is the flywheel. Now the inside of the flywheel has a magnetic charge still however the little raised box that passed under the pickup on the stator has no magnetic charge at all. Should it be charged? As far as the motor goes it has great compression and a very fresh top end. My problem is I have no spark if I kick the kickstarter. You guys have any ideas on what it could be or should I just bite the bullet and replace the flywheel and if that doesn't fix it push it off a cliff and buy a new bike. :coocoo:

04DrBlur

Jun 21, 2005
No the key under the flywheel is fine. The only solution I can think of is the flywheel losing its magnetic charge but I dont see how that is possible. And when you push start it, it gets the revolutions goin fast enought to create a spark...Man this is drivin me nuts trying to figure this out. Thanks guys for the ideas. Phil

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
You have replaced almost everything except the CDI and usually the CDI works or it doesn't. Since you can get it to run sometimes I would almost rule out the CDI. Since everything else seems to check out fine the only other thing that I would suggest is connectors and grounds. Ring out the wiring looking for broken insulation and just generally any condition that would allow electricity to flow to the frame. Inspect all of the connectors to see if any are broken, cracked, or loose. Particuarly where the leads exit the magneto casing. Is there any chance that your new magneto could be going to ground via the mounting hardware? This is about the only other things that I can think of for now. Dan

04DrBlur

Jun 21, 2005
I will check on the grounding situation tonight after work. After work. As far as the harness that goes to the CDI I have checked and rechecked all wires for shorts and broken wires. The magneto grounding out I will look into tonight. Thanks. Phil

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
I had a similar problem - pulled the flywheel to find the solder joint cracked where the wires initiate from out of the ignition coil on the stator plate. a quick solder and she was back in business. sounds like you've checked for this though - my bike (when this was the problem) would run sporatically - sometimes just shut right off....test it and it would be fine, try to start it and nothing....then all the sudden voila, it would run.

Dirt Bike Dan

Aug 18, 2004
Check your grounds (sand down to bare metal, use dielectric grease), disconnect the kill switch (sometimes they go bad), and check all solder joints like nickyd said. Check the gap on your plug too, maybe it is too big. Let us know what you come up with.

04DrBlur

Jun 21, 2005
Well after nearly pulling my hair out and putting a bullet in the side of this thing I decided to look at it one more time this morning. And wouldn't ya know it I overlooked the fact that the flywheel was a little far from the pickup on the stator. So I got my old stator out to compare with the new and sure enough the brand new stator from Suzuki was about 3/16 taller where the pickup bolts to it. So all morning I spent tearing the two stators apart to use the original backplate and now I am back in the game. Man I am glad I didn't order that flywheel yesterday.
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll c-ya later I am goin to the track. Thanks Phil :p

Top Bottom