no start after top end rebuild? help

Moto-Chains

Aug 15, 2005
Thought I would be tooling around in the back yard by now, it wont start. Just put in piston and rings, reeds and clutch. I have fuel, spark and compression. It draws in air, it exhausts air. No sputter at all, not even with starting fluid. Desperate now.
It is my daughters 99 kx60. Did my sons rm85 last month and runs like a champ, did both 2 stroke kasea atv's for racing with no problem. Piston arrow is lined up, reeds are seated, no air leaks I can find.
I put in fuel, connected the spark plug wire, any ideas
Thanks, Jay

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If it has spark and fuel it should start. I'd check again for a strong spark and fuel getting into the cylinder. You may have dislodged a connector and not noticed. Other than that I'm not sure.

Moto-Chains

Aug 15, 2005
It has blue spark, and the plug wire doesn't appear loose or loosing spark. I have off the air cleaner and housing, I can 'prime it' with a little squirt bottle but not even a sputter. Dont know where to go from here. It's not flooded either...

Moto-Chains

Aug 15, 2005
Got it. Stared at it for 5 minutes and kicked again, fired up, sputtered then ran great. Lot of oil in the cylinder I guess, maybe too rich. Thanks its going now.
Still have the flakey clutch issue. Doesn't keep a clutch adjustment, very hard to get out of first with the engine running and can hear and feel the lurch when going into first from neutral. Also releases in bursts, very uneven, has new discs and a worn basket.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
i was going to suggest that you might have used too much assembly lube-lol
clutch basket might have grooves wore in the tabs - file them down smooth again- or buy a new basket

Top Bottom