Khanman

Aug 27, 2009
Hey i just got my first dirt bike(Apollo 250cc) and know nothing about them so i have a few issues with it and was hoping you guys could help me out.

1. when i start up the bike i have to keep the throttle going because if i completely let it loose no matter what gear it is in the engine shuts off, i was told it is possibly something as simple as a dirty fuel filter but was wondering if anyone know what it was for sure and if they know how could i fix it myself.

2. when my bike is warmed up after a good 15-20 minutes of riding it will kick start or electric start no problem everytime but if its cold it takes forever to get it kick started and the electric start wont work(ive heard apollo has crappy electrics) how could i get it kick started quicker and easier? is there anything i can change out to make it eaiser? there isnt a choke on the bike

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Without a choke it's always going to be hard to start cold. As far as dying out when you let off the throttle, you have a problem with fuel delivery. Check air/fuel filter, fresh fuel, new plug, clean carb, check pilot jet very closely.

btw, I know nothing about an apollo except they are cheap and kinda crappy (no offense). I can't offer any model specific advise, other than buy a specific model of bike ;).

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I doubt it would be fuel filter as a clogged filter would impact high speed much more than idle.

A very common problem is that the carburetor gets gummed up. When gas is left in the carburetor and the bike sits for long periods the gas evaporates out, distilling the remains into a goo. This problem is much worse if the gas is left on as you can end up distilling the entire tank of gas down into a carburetor bowl full of goop.

This goo will then clog the tiny passages in the carburetor, and it is the smallest passages that tend to clog the most, and the smallest passages happen to be the idle circuit. Bottom line, you need to clean the carburetor. By clean I mean take it all apart, remove the jets and soak the all metal parts in a strong solvent over night.

On a brand name bike this is a fairly easy task and the gaskets you need to put it back together are readily available. For an off brand bike getting the gaskets might be a problem so you should be very careful taking it apart so you can re-use the gaskets.

Adjusting the float height is a standard part of putting the carburetor back together. Again, brand name bikes are easy because the float height is specified in the repair manual. For an off brand bike I recommend that you measure the float height when you take it apart so you can adjust it back to that level, which is assuming that the float height isn't your idle problem to start with.

Rod

Khanman

Aug 27, 2009
thanks a lot both of you i found a friend of a friend that works on bikes and he is gonna help me out with this, thanks again

Top Bottom