D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I just did a search and found some of you have the same complaint I have of No-Toil oil: it's hard to pour from the bottle and evenly distribute throughout the filter.

Any tricks besides the plastic bag? I saw there's an aerosol available now? I bought a pump spray bottle I planned to fill with No-Toil but I fear the oil will be too thick to work.

I used to use the TwinAir buckets. Something like that would be good for No-Toil.

I love throwing air filters in to the washing machine, but I hate trying to oil them up.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I don't see the advantage of the spray because you still have to work the oil into the filter. Here are the tricks to using the plastic bag:

1. Use a sealable bag;
2. You have to get ALL of the air out of the bag before you seal it.
3. I rotate filters, so after I have oiled the filter I just leave it in the bag until I'm ready to use it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I use a plastic bowl with a lid on it (so it stays nice and clean out in the shop)

Place filter in bowl,
pour oil on filter,
squeeze and distribute oil
dip filter in oil and repeat the squeeze 'til it is completely saturated
Then squeeze out excess and pour oil back in bottle.

I tried using a plastic baggy, and it leaked all over my shop :whiner:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We use the No-Toil aerosol - good stuff (and less mess)!

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Airosols never penatrate the filter as well as the method described by truespode and others.
Unless of course, you use half a can which would get expensive.

Last edited:

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I just use a dish soap pop top on the no-toil oil bottle. I squirt some of the oil on the filter and use plastic gloves to work it through. Do it a couple of times and you'll know how much to start out with, on the filter, and you don't waste a drop or have anything to clean up.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i also use the tupperware cantainer with a lid. i pour all the oil in the bottle into the cantainer then put the filter into the cantainer to saturate the filter with oil and squeez out the excess oil back into the cantainer and then put the lid on so the alcohol in the oil doesnt evaporate.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I use a small TwinAir tub w/ sealing lid. Pour a bottle of No-Toil in the tub, saturate filter, squeeze out excess, seal tub. Just make sure to mix the No-Toil in the tub before using.

Attachments

• TwinAirTub.jpg
    TwinAirTub.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 77

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
J.B 426 has the right trick.

1) Cheap disposable latex gloves (Home Depot or Lowes).
2) A small empty dishwashing detergent plastic bottle.
3) Paper towels.

Use the dishwashing detergent bottle for the oil. The pop-up top is a good applicator. It seals well, and makes for a small, controllable stream of oil.

Work the oil into the filter with your hands. Squeeze out any excess. Use the paper towel to blot out a bit more.

You’re done. Total time: five minutes.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Thanks for the tips. I just started using No-toil I have about one use left with the spray can. I just ordered the bottle so I will be putting some of these tips to use :)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
D36-108A, I have tried the pump bottle and it doesn't work very well. The aerosol is the only way to go. It seems like you are spraying half of the can to cover the filter, but that is not the case. One can lasts quite a while. There is virtually no waste. Filters are ready to go in 30 seconds. I will never go back to the plastic bag routine again!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've been using the No Toil stuff since I got into riding back on 2000 and been very pleased...untill. I got the big idea to pour some oil in a spray bottle, about half a bottles worth. I knew it would be kind of thick, and it is. I comes out in a stream but I figured since I have to work it in that it would be no different than just pouring it out of the bottle onto the filter. That's what I got for thinking.
It seems that the carrier for the oil evaporates making the oil very thick causing a decrease in air flow. It really keeps the dirt out but I sacrafice performance, it's kind of like running with the choke on. The really bad part is the performance varies with every filter change depending on how much oil I get in the filter which leads me to my question. Exactly how much oil is suppossed to go on the filter? Before I used the spay bottle I simply poured the oil on the filter and worked it in untill it looked saturated and then I squeezed out the excess. Is this the proper method to oil a filter? I saw where some filter oil provides a bowl to submerge the filter in but that seems like overkill unless you can get a lot of the excess out.
Bottom line is I think by using the spay bottle method that the carrier has evaporated and what I'm doing is applying a sticky gooey mess. Let me hear all the tips.

Top Bottom