teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
someone ground the serial# off of a KX 80 big wheel and i cant figure out what year it is. There is a # on the engine. That # is KX080RE000602. I think it is between a 91 and 94 but i am not sure. Can anyone tell me what year it is?

teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
I got a bill of sale from the previous owner. The bike was in pieces when I bought it at a yard sale. It was in real bad shape when I got it. Keep in mind that I am a father of three and took a deal when I saw it well I was not leaving without it as soon as my son saw it.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
The bill of sale may have come from a different bike than the one you bought... if it was the same bike though couldn't you just look on the bill of sale and see what year it is? PS - if you go to your local dealer they'll be able to tell what year it is by the number on the motor. I wouldn't be too worried about it anyways they hardly changed the kx80's at all... the kx80, kx85 and kx100 are damn near identical save the cylinder and piston.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I can check to see if I can cross that engine number to a frame number but it'll have to be tomorrow. I'll get back to you. If it DOES come back stolen, are you going to turn it in, if not, I won't be able to help you.

teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
I cant have my 12 year old son riding a stolen bike as much as he would want to kill me. Yes I will turn it in so if you can find out for me please do so before I spend anymore money on this thing. Thanks a454elk

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If the VIN number is missing off the frame there is no way that you can check to see if it is stolen or not. If the bill of sale has a VIN number on it there is no way of knowing if it was for that bike or some other bike.

I would not get involved in any vehicle that had its VIN altered or destoryed. Been there, done that. If a law enforcement official ever looks at that bike and sees the VIN number ground off they can immediatly impound the bike as being suspected as stolen. A bill of sale won't help you get the bike back. It is possible you could even be charged with possesion of stolen property.

It sounds like the bike was in pieces and not worth a lot when you got it so I wouldn't feel too guilty about keeping it but you might want to limit how much you put into it. If you live in a state where off road vehicles are not registered then you may get buy without the VIN. It could come back to haunt you later when try to sell the bike, however.

Rod

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
just this summer we had an awesome 04 kx125 lined up to buy. my aunt just glanced it over and it looked good to her but she wanted to wait till i got there to buy it. when i looked it over i noticed the vin # was scratched off. I left right there. There was no way I was gonna buy a bike and have it taken away for being stolen.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I think the point has been driven in hard enough about the VIN missing and wouldn't buy it. I suspect he saw a great deal (getting 3 kids on bikes can be pretty expensive) and a project to learn with the kids helping- probably at the point of purchase did not notice the VIN missing. Found it missing when needing parts to finish the project. I'll take him for his word that if Elk finds proof it is stolen he will turn it in. I doubt a conciensious father would allow his son to ride a stolen bike knowing full well what heartbreak that could bring his way also.

As Elk said sometimes it is possible through the motor number to obtain further info (this is a computer system limited to law enforcement and not private citizens).

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I can honestly say that I have never seen any other reason for a VIN to be ground off, painted over yes, polished frame yes, but ground off, only one reason. If it's that old it may have never been reported so you will never know. And it can get registered because after a cross reference has been done with the engine number, it'll give the VIN that goes with it. Then the number can be raised from the frame and if it matches, a tag will be applied that coincides with it. As long as it doesn't come back stolen, it will be fine. That goes for CA, not sure how the other 49 states complete the process. That's assuming that the engine can be crossed, not a guatantee. I'll try tonight or tomorrow. ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
OK, here's the VIN that went with that motor. JKAKXWR1XMA000391
It says it's a 1991 KX80. There is no history of stolen but it may have never been reported. It depends on your state but if that bike was brought in here, they would seize it due to the ground VIN. Your state may be different though so that's all I can tell you. That's the only VIN that crossed with that motor. Good luck!
Elk

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Elk and Oldguy, now that you have done the VIN search, I would guess that he should copy the VIN and keep it with him and if there is ever a question, cooperate fully and hope that the questions are answered to the authorities satisfaction?
Seems to me that we have an honest person that has done what he could to make things right. Thanks for the background checks as always. Good luck with the 80.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
I know u got the vin now but there is special acid that will show the vin no matter how ground off it is ask a snap-on tool man they have these technologies due to stolen tools and to check for engraving of peoples names for tools people sell back to them.

when steel is engraved it is always there it changes the steel no amout of grinding will remove it only from the naked eye. the

Top Bottom