Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
My girlfriend just got a new yz 125 and has ridden it about 4 times now. Maybe an hour of riding each time. We went riding today and when it is in neutral it makes a whining noise. It loud enough that I definitely don't think that its normal. It sounds like a bearing to me, but I'm not real sure what it is. when you put it in gear, the noise goes away. I've read on another post here about a shifter bearing going bad, but I don't know if it could be that or not. Anybody have any ideas? I'm hoping that maybe the dealer will take care of this problem since the bikes just a week old, but with no warranty I don't know. I would really appreciate any ideas of what this could be.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
I thought you got 30 days too, but the dealer said there was no warranty. We got the bike out of state for a really good price, so we went ahead and got it anyway.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
I would tell the dealer to educate himself on his products a little better... and call Yamaha and let them know what he said.

2005 YZ125 Warranty

Look at the bottom of the page.

I don't know what it is "limited" to, but saying it has no warranty is incorrect.

:ride:

Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
I called them and he again told me it didn't have a warranty, but I told him that it said 30 days on yamaha's site and then he looked and agreed, so I guess for some reason he just didn't know when we got it. I would sure think that something like this would be covered under the warranty. I don't know how we could have caused it or anything. Anyway, I guess we're covered, I just hope its not something thats going to happen again. I appreciate all the help.

Jeremy

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
We just picked up a '05 YZ 125. The first comment my buddy made was that it sounded strange - something wrong. I didn't notice anything unusual. This is the first aluminum framed bike he has been on. I've been on them since '97. I think the noise was just normal egine noise resonnating through the aluminum. I wouldn't worry unless it starts to change.

Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
I really don't think this is a normal thing. It comes and goes and I noticed yesterday that when it makes the noise you can see the chain tighten just a little. Not enough to be able to feel it, but if your watching you can see the sprocket move a bit. Then when the noise goes away, the chain gets slack again. I've been on several aluminum framed bikes too, I have an 05 cr250 right now, and I've never heard them sound anything like this before. I'm pretty sure its something in the clutch or gearbox. We're going to take it in and get it looked at and see what they say. I guess it could be just the way they are, but I've never been on one that has done this before.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Maybe your just used to Honda quality :) Just kidding. I assume you got that puppy broke in and got fresh oil. If your dealer is looking at it my bet is their not going to admit to anything. Best of luck - sounds like one of those lovely weird deals. We just spent a week chasing our tails on a KTM - porosity in the head on a brand new bike.

Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
Well, we're taking to a dealer where a friend of ours is the service manager, so I'm hoping they'll treat us pretty good. Its not the dealer we got the bike from, but I don't want to take it there because it's too far away and I don't know anything about them. Bad thing is I don't trust the dealer here in town to get fixed right, so we still have to drive a couple hours to get it taken care of. I'll let you know what they come up with just in case you ever have this happen to yours. Hopefully its just a one time thing and not a common problem.

Thanks for the help.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The 05 YZ 125 unlike the CR 250 :debil: has no vibration problems or strange engine noises at all. It should sound crisp but quiet mechanically. No annoying piston rattles like the CR 125's.

Let us know what the dealer finds out.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Aparently there are at least 2 2005 YZ125's that make strange noises :nener:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
that sounds like the gearbox has issues, there have been a few bearing problems over here-as well as the one previously spoke of.

Westy

Mar 9, 2005
Mystery Noise

My thoughts would be that it is resonating. The reason it is coming and going is because the revs are changing slightly. Almost everytime you start the bike it will run at different revs until it warms up. The engine would have to be sitting on certains revs to be making the noise. When you drop it into gear the engine revs would change hence the noise goes away. Does the noise go away when you rev it??

It may be a mechanical problem but since there is two bikes so far with the same noise it sounds unlikely. I would like to know if there are any others with this same problem in the 05 yz125.

Cheers

Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
I'm pretty sure its a mechanical problem. My guess is the gearbox too. The noise chainges when you rev it, but it just gets higher pitched or lower pitched along with the rpms. Never goes away. It almost sounds like someone running an electric drill or something like that along with the engine. A whining noise like that. As soon as you drop it in gear it completely goes away. Also with the chain wanting to pull when its making noise and then getting slack again when the noise goes away it seems like something has to be wrong with it. Its going to the shop today to get looked at. I don't know when they will be able to get to it, but hopefully pretty soon and we'll find out whats wrong.

Jeremy_E

Mar 28, 2005
Well, we figured out what it was. I kind of feel like an idiot now, but it was low on oil. The manual shows to fill it until it runs out of the drain bolt, but that is not enough. Doing that puts it about 200 cc short. Now that it has enought oil, the noise has went away. This is the last time I'm going to use one of those oil level bolts. It's pretty hard to believe that they would be that far off though. I just hope it didn't do any major damage.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Glad you found it. Be careful though, too much oil will cause foaming - and the oil fill volume is when case is dry. I have found when filling some bikes the oil will run down the inside of the case to the fill hole and run out even though its not at the proper level. Make sure the bike is sitting straight up when checking.

rpmRMiam

Jul 7, 2005
It is likely you did not hurt anything. If you did burn anything it will be the clutch release bearing first so take a look see. If you wanna be slick,pay attention to the release torque on the big nut cuz not all bikes like being real tight and the factory knows more than makes it into print. Or use the manual. Anyhoo...the best thing to do is put the max amount ,like from a dry state to full, thus overfilling it by a little less than a hundred cc. Use Mobil 1 15-50 tri-synthetic ...wal mart...autozone...k fart, cuz it dont foam up bad like petr. base oil like castrol gtx. Oil foaming is not cool and Oldfrt is correct. At the same time, of all the years I have been a pro engine builder I never seen no motor damaged by foamy oil but this place is littered with junk engines lost to low oil. Hell, Husabergs blow up if you dont overfill em by 200 cc. :nod:

Top Bottom