jruba

Sep 15, 2009
Hello everybody , im about to purchase my first Bike (cr125) the guy im buying it from has no title nor proof of purchase , today we went to the my local DPS office , the told me to get a bond title ,my main concern was that the bike might be stolen or something like that , they just call me from the DPS telling me that i could stop by to pick up the letter to go get the surety bond, that means that the bike its clear , question here is , do i really need to get the title and pay the bond+tranfer fee +taxes or do i just get a bill of sale , bike its an 01 CR125 and im getting it cheap , bike its 800 plus im thinking 200 or more for the rest paper work , what do you guys think ? having a title i guess its ok ,cause that would make me the legal owner of the bike , please help not sure what to do , thanks in advance ..

Last edited:

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
800 seems cheap. Is it even worth buying or are you better off holding out and looking for something else. If so, then this whole mess is a non issue.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you don't care if it has a title then great but then when you sell you need to find a like minded buyer and that is not always easy. Since you are getting it "cheap" (relative term depending on how beat it is) why not get clear ownership papers? Personally every bike except one (never came with papers from Europe) that I have bought and sold has had papers proving ownership. It makes me feel better and it's usually a lot easier to sell. I'm in Texas as well and just so happen to have a '01 CR125 in the trailer too.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
The guy is getting married :debil: so his in need for money , the bike its in good shape , starts on the first kick :ride: when cold, it also comes with some upgrades like a gold series fatty pipe and a shorty silencer :( friend of mine told me to hell with the title , but im not 100% conviced yet , i will post pictures once i pick it up , thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I don't have a title on any of my bikes.. But, I did buy them from a reputable source.

If the police did a VIN check, and they come back clean, not stolen, then I wouldn't worry much about it.

In the event that you decide to sell it at a later date, if a buyer seems worried, offer to have the VIN check done. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't want a cop checking a VIN on a bike they know is stolen.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
On a side note, I love that bike and would trade my 02 CR250 for it. I had a 01 125 for awhile and it's a wonderful bike. I'm pretty light weight and the 250 is almost more work than the extra power is worth. Other than riding in sand or situations were bottom end or big power is important i would say i would be faster on the 125. Enjoy it. All mine had was a pipe silencer rejet and new bars. Stock suspension worked well enough for me. Definitely post some pics. It's one of those bikes that i had when i was younger and will always remember. I dont know why.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
IndyMX said:
I don't have a title on any of my bikes.. But, I did buy them from a reputable source.

If the police did a VIN check, and they come back clean, not stolen, then I wouldn't worry much about it.

In the event that you decide to sell it at a later date, if a buyer seems worried, offer to have the VIN check done. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't want a cop checking a VIN on a bike they know is stolen.

Vin # came back clean .So i can prolly get the tittle later once i have all my riding gear or maybe not.
Like you said , you can always offer a vin # check to a potential buyer.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
01HondaCR said:
On a side note, I love that bike and would trade my 02 CR250 for it. I had a 01 125 for awhile and it's a wonderful bike. I'm pretty light weight and the 250 is almost more work than the extra power is worth. Other than riding in sand or situations were bottom end or big power is important i would say i would be faster on the 125. Enjoy it. All mine had was a pipe silencer rejet and new bars. Stock suspension worked well enough for me. Definitely post some pics. It's one of those bikes that i had when i was younger and will always remember. I dont know why.

Im 5'9 and 175 Lbs and unexperienced , i didnt do the sticky thread , but it feels the right size for me , w'll see :yikes:

Thanks for all your coments , will post pics asap.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
Bike is here !! tell me what you see ...

PA080140.jpg

PA080143.jpg

PA080144.jpg

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I see an $800 bike.... as long as it doesn't need the lower end done.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
Hope not , whatever that is :) ...i think its a good starter bike , it needs some love that's all , thank you .

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
MrLuckey said:
Funny saying considering the thread lmao Indy!

Yeah, the irony wasn't lost on me when I wrote that..

As for that bike.. First thing, it needs a bath bad.

Did you look in the air filter? I'm guessing it's more suitable for growing potato's than filtering air.

$800 sounds like a fair price.. You may have to do some engine work and replace a few bearings in the suspension, but if you do the work yourself, it's not too bad financially.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
truespode said:
When you get a chance pull the valve color and check the powerband.

Look for cracks and color changes.

Ivan

:ugg:.....you're killing me bro.

Last edited:

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
IndyMX said:
Yeah, the irony wasn't lost on me when I wrote that..

As for that bike.. First thing, it needs a bath bad.

Did you look in the air filter? I'm guessing it's more suitable for growing potato's than filtering air.

$800 sounds like a fair price.. You may have to do some engine work and replace a few bearings in the suspension, but if you do the work yourself, it's not too bad financially.
Ok , after some time spent searching about the filter location , i removed it and clean the air filter , it wasnt that bad , or maybe it was , not sure , thinking about getting the K&N filter some time later .

Today i took the bike for a small ride :nod: , but run out of gas :bang: in 5 minutes , had to walk back home , anyways it was fun while it last, tomorrow im gonna buy some high quality 2 stroke oil and make some mix for round 2.

Wish me luck.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
First... best air filter in my opinion is the No-Toil air filter. The filter oil is environmentally safe and you can usually buy them pre-oiled at the local bike shop.

Second... Yamalube Y2R 2-stroke oil is cost effective and very good oil. I recommend 32:1 ratio with a 125. Buy a ratio rite cup to help with the mixing http://www.amazon.com/Ratio-Rite-Measuring-Cup/dp/B001DDGE3A

Third... read this book... http://ericgorr.com/mxandoffroad.html

Most importantly read and LEARN. There are a lot of old threads you can search on here on DRN that will be very helpful.

Having a dirtbike is a responsibility and if you take it serious the bike will reward you with A LOT of fun for a long, long time. If you treat it poorly it will be a big waste of money.

Ivan

MyckMcClung

Sep 19, 2009
Yeah it needs a bath bad, the chain needs to be lubed, get a Chilton manual for it, it will tell you step by step how to service, maintain, and rebuild everything, it was the best investment I made when I got my first bike. And the experience you'll gain from properly following the procedures will make you a better mechanic and save you a ton of money.

jruba

Sep 15, 2009
Thanks guys for the advise , i bought the ratio rite cup today and some honda 2 stroke oil at my local Honda dealer.Next on my list is the service/repair manual .
I also bought a wire brush to clean and lube the chain.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Buy a Factory Honda Service Manual and nothing else! It will be light years more informative about your bike than any other version. A few bucks more but money well spent.

Top Bottom