JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
im new 2 mx and am lookin for a couple ?'s answered plz. first of all one of my dirtbike friends told me i should get a 4 stroke bcause all 2 strokes are becoming illegal. is this true? and the next age old ? of wat bike 2 get.
Here are my 2 choices i have been lookin at any other suggestions are welcome

Honda crf150r

Kawasaki kx100

i am 5' 6'' and like 115 lbs. i would be racing motocross at a local track and then just some messin around in the woods

thx for the help

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
4stroke lovers tend to say get a thumper. 2T lovers say get a smoker. As far as them "becoming illegal", I assume that he means by AMA rules, but it is not true. The 2 stroke machines are at a disadvantage when playing by the AMA rules. Looking at your post, and not having enough information, I will venture to say that either of the bikes that you have listed are Supermini machines, and not for entry level racers. You could try a 125 and run the beginner class, or you could get an 85 and run in the age classes or 85 beginner (provided that you are no older that 15 on Jan 1). The other option is to choose one of those bikes and get slapped around in the Supermini class until you can't take anymore (try not to hurt anybody).

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
but arent 125's bigger than the 150s or 100's like seat height wise ok so give me some suggestions on wat bike 2 get that will i will still be able 2 ride rite now height wise and level wise the reason i chose those is that i dont want 2 have 2 get a new bike in 1 or 2 years

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ok that helps a lot and the only thing im afraid of is when i first get it im gettin 1 for sure the beginning of spring i will then practice and race at a local track this summer and im afraid it will be too big and i will have 2 tip the bike completely sidways just 2 touch the ground

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you find a full size bike to be too tall, you can cut down the seat foam a bit. You should stop by a local dealer an see how tall the big bikes are. Throw a leg over on or two. If you are intimidated by the size, then you should get an 85. The 100 or 150 is not allowed in beginner racing classes at most tracks.

Rideblue4ever

Aug 28, 2006
Im only 5'7 and weigh 160 pounds 16 years old and i ride a Yz250 but only in the woods i have yet to race but might someday...i would get a Yz125 or a Rm125 you can always adjust and lower the suspenision a little bit for ur needs..

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
pidro_el_pirata said:
I'm another noob... what the heck is this supposed to mean?

haha thanks!
Simple, those with a preference for one, often believe that everybody should be riding the same. This applies to brand loyalty as well.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ive narrowed it down 2 those 2 bcause almost every1 ive asked on this website is to go 4 a 2stroke 125 and out of those i like the kx and rm the best but all my friends at skool say 4 stroke but i like 2strokes better atleast i think early this spring im goin 2 test drive a bunch and will decide 4 sure then

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
any 4-stroke right now at your physical standard would not satisfy you. a 2T 125 is the way to go. the KX125 and RM125 are both very good choices, as are the rest of them. ive ridden a YZ125, CR125, and a KX125( all 2000 models), and obviously, im going to say i liked the KX the most. of course, all bikes are tuned differently for different purposes. id shoot for the KX, not because i own one, but because their dirt cheap and their fairly small with a lot of power.

Last edited:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
that sounds good i was leanin towards a 2t ne way i will test both of them this spring

Top Bottom