Nor.Cal Elkins Flat Ride 20-21 Oct

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I will not be making the trip to Elkins. :( :(

While servicing the link on the CR I have come to the conclusion that my bike needs some serious attention before I ride it again.
How serious? 3" crack in a weld under the swing arm, linkage bearings are worn out, rear wheel bearings are toast, & the rt lower fork leg is so badly pitted that putting seals in it is a joke.

oh well........

fremontguy,
are you going to the November 2nd DR Wong ride?

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Jim,

I have some of my crew going up EARLY on Friday morning to get us, with larger RV's some spots.

Looks like I have to load in Crocket, Ca in the early A.M and head to Modesto. I hope to be leaving the house NO LATER than 1:00pm.

See you all there! :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
GSR - bring the dogs. We're bringing our black lab.

MR. WR - We're going to leave SR NLT noon - if we're there first where do want me to 'reserve' spots? I'll check back here later tonight.

Brian

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
LOL!! Right! A mere week before my ACL surgery? My doc would love that. At this point a QUAD would be all I can ride. I can't even walk right anymore.

As much as I'd love to go, I can't. Those smart aleck Yamaha desert riders need to be shown a thing or two about European ping-pings.

Alas, another day. I shall return.

HoJo

Apr 7, 2001
HUH?

Desert guys huh? I could of swore it was a desert guy whom said "be careful until your knee heals all the way". Well I get to go riding at least. :D Have a good weekend Zing Zing.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Maybe I should get a thump thump. then it wouldn't go fast enough to hurt myself.

<ducking>

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Husaberg backup bike

Kevin, you're more than welcome to ride the 'berg. It has just been freshened up, so it should run pretty good. At least, it looks pretty. :silly:

FarmerJohn, what??? Your bike is broken? Oh well, see you at the next race. Good luck.

Rick, we'll be leaving Concord about 7:00 p.m. Friday, maybe earlier if possible. ETA, approximately 10:00 p.m. Thanks for saving us a place.

Jim

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Will be coming up saturday morning, for all who a staying over friday night what is the ride taking off saturday morning.

MR.WR OUT OF CONTROL! We all ride out of control.

It should be mandatory that all bikes carry 50gals of water in jug on back off bike with a soray nozzle to keep the dust down:D

See ya all saturday, everyone have a safe drive up.

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
Wr,

We are still gonna make it but I have to work all night on Friday so I will leave Reno about 8am. Save some riding for the afternoon! See you all tommorow.

Steve

DougM

Oct 12, 2001
Elkins Flat First Impression

Was told PiPi or Elkins Flat is the place to ride. I called the Amador Ranger Station in Pioneer and they left three maps in bird house for me. They were:
1. Elkins Flat
2. Gold Note
3. Deer Valley

Well I had my wife (Novice on XR250), Son (6yrs old Yamaha TTR 90), Daughter (8yrs old KX60) another dad (RM80, he uses one of his kids bikes), His son (9yrs old KX65) and Me Novice but putting on a lot of miles from Desert in Southern Ca to Penny Pines and Forest Hill (2001 KTM 300 EXC). By the way all the above bikes are 2001 except for the XR250 which is 2002. We all just got into this when the kids had fun.

Back to my assesment.
I looked at Elkins Flat and saw a lot of advanced trails. Didn't think good idea with my group. So we went for Gold Note and The Five Corners Staging area. Well it was very dusty and no bathrooms. (We are civilized). So we went for Pi Pi. Well no dirt bikes alowed to operate there. They have trails around the camp site. So we went to Elkins Flat. Very Dusty. Stinky restrooms. I headed out on trail 26 (dirt road section) and was going to loop on 28 (intermediate) to see what trails were like. Boy the section I was on was just dirt road that was just a little deteriated. It also did not follow map to paved road. The trail was changed (No I was not lost). When I came back to Elkins Flat, just south on paved road back to Pi Pi I noticed a fun looking single track to the left and took it (Turns out this is one of the advanced sections of 26). The advanced section is the same as intermediate trails in other areas. I took 26 to 27 and then road back. We tried to take one of the kids and he had problems (9yr old). So we puttered and that was it.
I intend to go back with an experienced friend and ride 26 loop and 25 loop plus what ever else. (26 is 22 mi loop and 25 is 16.7 mi loop)

So far my favorite is Forest Hills near Auburn and trails 1 and 4 on week days. Fast and fun with lots of jumps. Tried 5 and was challenged. Will do 5 again and try 6

Penny Pines (Middle Creek, Stony Ford Area) is great too. Great for starting out and for kids. Not as dusty. Lots of fun easy single track

Barstow area (Stoddard Valley) is a lot of fun. Rocky Hills and flat desert. Open ridding

Gorman (Hungry Valley) off 5 on Grape Vine is a lot of fun with neat trails. You can ride up to pines or through small pinon pines

Jawbone Cyn is ok. Very sandy. I need to improve for this

I hope this helps some

Note: Deer Valley is near Elkins Flat and is harder the ranger says. But not dusty. I have copy of trails to ride. There is no special trail map just use forest map (Elderado)

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Ok first thing everytime I caugh or sneeze a dust cloud comes out I only rode saturday:( MRWR thanks for leading our rides and showing us some trails:) Can't wait to do it again after it rains. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and riding with with you guys. RETSENIOR glad you finally found your way, missed not being able to bang bars with ya:D Hope everyone had a good safe ride on sunday and every made it home safe. Until next time RIDE SAFE & RIDE OFTEN:)

Top Bottom