Nor.Cal Elkins Flat Ride 20-21 Oct

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
With Oct just around the berm, time has come to head up to Elkins Flat for the 2nd Annual Nor.Cal DRN ride. Last year we had a really good turn out with riders coming from Nevada and the Bay Area to roost. This year were going to ride 20-21 Oct.

Last year it had rained a few days before the weekend and the riding was perfect, let hope for rain this year.

There is camping at the Elkins Flat staging area and for those that wish to camp in a campground PiPi Valley campground is close by.

If you would like to get trail maps of the Elkins Flat and Gold Note / Pipi ridng area give the Amador Ranger District office a call and they will mail you the maps.

Get the skinny here!

26820 Silver Drive
Pioneer, CA 95666
209-295-4251
TTY 209-295-5996
FAX 209-295-5998
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Monday - Friday
(Extended Summer Hours: Mon.-Sat.)

If you would like to camp in a camp ground that is very close to the Elkins Flat staging area check out this link. http://www.reserveusa.com/nrrs/ca/pipi/#areas
http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/eldorado/fi...ers/river01.htm

Here are directions to Elkins Flat staging area.
From the San Francisco Bay Area, take 580 East to 205, and then follow 205 until it turns into I-5 North.
Stay in the right lane on I-5 and exit on 120 East.
Exit Highway 120 and go north at Highway 99.
Exit Highway 99 and go east at Highway 88.
Follow Highway 88 to and through the town of Jackson.
Go left at Omo Ranch Road.
Take the very next right on PIPI road.
Follow PIPI road to and past PIPI Valley campground.
The next camping area past PIPI Valley campground is Elkins Flat.

Here is a link to view the Pipi / Gold Note trail net work. This side of the mountain is has some really nice trails. There is a trail that connects Elkins Flat to Gold Note side. http://www.4wdriver.com/regions/reg...ca-goldnote.gif

This should be enough info to get things started......

Rick
Rick

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Wouldn't miss it. This time I'll be prepared to stay one night at least. :D
I'll have to look for my bike. It's somewhere in the garage. Last time I saw it, was a month ago. :eek:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I gotta check with the wife to see if she has to work that weekend. I'm really looking forward to going for the weekend. We're in Vancouver, WA right now picking up our Patio Hauler 5th wheel.

Brian

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Rick

I will be there if I don't have a race that weekend. I had the best time riding with you and that GG in reno. I'll have my hands full with you in the woods! Hope to see you then.

You getting a 125? I heard a rumor... and stop working so hard, you're retired already.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
MR. WR and his GG do get through the woods pretty well. I should be able to make it for Saturday. For those of you looking to take a crack at MR. WR on his home turf, take a number! :D

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Jim,

Glad to hear that you going to try to make it up for the weekend??

Can't wait to see everyone......

Rick

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Will be there!

First time for me, but I will plan on being there and will bring the family, trailer, and bikes.

Which is the best site to camp with a 23ft trailer? I tow it with a 4x4.

Looking forward to it, been home for 5 weeks now with a broken tibia, this gives me a reason to push through rehab and get back in shape!

Mike,

mine- YZ400
hers - ttr-125l with all the BBR goodies,
sons- kx 60.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Mike,

the best place to camp is at the staging area. The staging area is a large area with plenty of shaded area to park your trailer. I will also have my 24ft 5th wheel trailer parked at the staging area. Last year we camped at the staging area and we had plenty of room for everyone. The road going into Elkins Flat is paved.

If you need more info drop me an email.

Hope to see you and your family there. Sorry to hear about the broken leg...

Rick

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Mr WR
I do have a race on the 21st. I will try to talk the guy I race with to go to elkins flat saturday for some trail riding and then go up to Donner that night. I hope it rains before then!

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
angry,

I hear you on the rain!!! Lets hope for a nice shower the week before.

Strick....come on up!!! Bring the Reno gang and lets ride ;)

Rick

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Hey AngryJim The cross country race at Norden is on saturday, were gonna try and come over on sunday to ride Elkins. Never ridin' there before. The 49er quilifier race is there the following weekend. Hope to meet up and meet everyone.:)

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
I will be with the Moose at the Ski Run Scrambles Saturday the 20th but maybe we can get down there and ride late Saturday and Sunday. I would like to make one of these rides.

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I'll try to make it. I live in San Jose, and I ride an XR250R dual sport, and a KDX200. It would be interesting to see some faces for these names. I might bring my wife (XR200) and kid (XR50). What is the offroad terrain like up there, and how would dual sporting be? I can handle pretty much anything, but my wife & kid would only have fun if it's pretty easy. Who else is bringing women and kids?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Toby,
I've only been up there twice, but I think your wife and kid would have a good time, and there will almost certainly be women and some kids. Trails vary from easy dirt road to medium difficulty single track, with a network of pavement for dual sporting.

The 'black diamond' trails at Elkins Flat are single track but not nearly as difficult as black diamonds you might find at other areas, such as Stonyford. Most of the 'black diamond' trails can be handled by novice riders, IMO, but do have sections that would be tough for total rookies or small kids. There are plenty of dirt roads if the single track is too tough.

Most of the area is wooded. Very few if any serious hill climbs. A few rocky sections but nothing extreme. Just good woods riding that is fun for just about everyone!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Toby,
Ditto what Dave said. My wife should be joining me that weekend. She rides a dual sported '92 XR250 and likes easy trails - I don't think Elkins Flat will jeopordize my marraige.

Brian

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Hey Rick! Long time no see. How's retirement treating you? Count us(wife and I) in. I will try to get up there on Friday night like last time. it will be good to see DB Dave, Jonala, Fremont Guy, NVR Finish and you again. As of now, 3 or 4 of the 'OFO Racing' clan will be along too. I'll try to remember the (shhhhh...camelback) this time so you won't have to supply the on-trail H2O :o (Of course it was better than providing on-trail CPR to the old fat guy;) )

Last edited:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Sounds like the whole gang's gonna be there. Note to self, throw extra brake pads in tool box:p

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
funk,

You will need a spark arrestor. Elkins Flat is open to red and green sticker bikes all year. So if you have a red sticker, no worries, come on up and meet the gang and ride.

Dirty Dave,

Been busy working, retirement?????? What is that?????? I"m working harder now than I did in my 20 year as a jarhead:eek:

My plan is to arrive at the staging area on Friday late afternoon sometime.

I'll drop you an email during the week....

See you next month.

Rick

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Originally posted by fremontguy
Sounds like the whole gang's gonna be there. Note to self, throw extra brake pads in tool box:p
Excellent idea Les, I'll remember the extra cash and numerous icepaks:silly: Should we bring flowers to place at the base of the tree you so ruthlessly attacked last time?;)
re:brake pads...I would've been a pine rider and fire tender for the rest of the weekend if you hadn't offered up the pads off the KTM. :cool:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
My comment wasn't meant to be a put down D.D. I had an extra set of pads at home in my garage which I should of brought along that time. I have since learned to throw whatever spare parts and tools I might have in truck for rides. Now, if I could only get some spare body parts to snap on.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
We're in

Rick,
Can you save me a spot for a 36ft 5th wheel? Wife, dog & I will try to leave Santa Rosa around 1pm on Friday - just in time to hit the traffic at 12/80. Would like to be at Elkins Flat before it's too late.....

Brian

Top Bottom