NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Kali brought it up.....

I have the week of July 4th off - plant shut down due to the economy.

Anybody already got plans or suggestions for where to ride?

Brian

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Some place cool, like a lake or the beach:) I'm a working stiff that week so maybe Sun, Mon.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Well - I'd almost rather be a working stiff that week. Our office has AC - my house doesn't. That, and my choice for the 4 days off is vacation time @ 90% of salary (10% pay cut company wide) or time off w/o pay. I'm thinking I'll take time off w/o pay & save the vacation hours until we are back at 100% salary.

Definitely someplace cool. Anybody know the areas up by Eureka?

Brian

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Excellent idea Brian. I'll call the Sierra Club's reservation dept, on Monday. I understand that they have a lodge up in the Sierra's. The lodge is built on the shore of a private (Sierra Club) lake. We can waterski using their ski boat (named MTBE):cool: , ride bikes all over their acreage. From what I understand about this site, the enviromental laws do not apply to the Sierra Club and their guests.

I have a followup post on Monday.

I could call Ted Turner also. Since he is no longer CEO of CNN (Clinton News Network) I'm sure he could use a few bucks. He has 10,000's of acres just outside of Bozeman Montana. It's a long drive to Montana, but heck we have all week. We can even make it a spur of the moment Spodefest.:p

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dang, John - no riding this weekend? The wit is sharp today.

Dual Dogs does the 6 Days of NorCal up in the Emerald Triangle (gee - where did this name come from?) Thought there might be some areas worth checking out - maybe an overnighter?

Of course we could do Middle Creek.....

Brian

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Brian,

Called the reservation dept. No luck. It seems unless we belong to the corporate preferred contributors ($100K +/ year) we can't schedule a week.

Tried to call to Commie Ted Turner. He is not returning his calls. He has been despondent since Hanoi Jane walked out on him.;)

I'll check with the local Earth First group and see about riding in the Headlands:p

Haven't heard of the Emerald Triangle, where?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you guys want high altitude, cool and lake frontage and riding through 'wilderness', camp at Loon Lake and do the Rubicon trail! Not everybody's cup of tea, but it is gorgeous, especially if you like rocks and first gear.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
So did the Sierra club reservations at the private lake get booked:) Anyone riding woods on Monday in Norcal? I'm up for the usual 3hr. drive spots: DeerCreek, Georgetown, Middlecreek, etc.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Gee, first the Sierra Club turns us down, then even those nice tree huggers at Earth First said NO! :(

I won't be able to do any riding this week:(

I did go do the Dave Woods Saturday Clinic yesterday. Highly recommend for anyone who is at least a "strong C" rider. I think he has another class coming up in August. I'll post a ride report later today, I'm too sore right now:scream:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I'm envious of the ride Jonala, that Kirkwood area wood be awesome to ride sometime. So I guess I won't have any problems with dust this week, (a big benefit to riding solo).

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Fremontguy,

If you ever do ride the Kirkwood area trails, do it with someone who knows the area very very well. The trails are not well marked. I didn't look for any trail maps yesterday, even with a map it would be very easy to get lost.

The trails have a tendency to go from dirt to solid granite. On our way back I lost sight of the rider in front of me, and had no clue of which way to go. If it wasn't for Dave babysitting me (came back) I'd still be out there. I would be a Donner Party of one. Let's see what would I cut off first? I'd do a lobotomy first, heck I don't fully use that part of my body anyway:p

It was dusty, the rain didn't help. We would use the 30 second rule. Follow 30 seconds behind.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Had a good ride at Georgetown yesterday, temps near 100 :scream: Managed to clock in 50 miles, from east Ballarat up and around 9-8 down to lower 18, and lots of other loops. Trail conditions are improved over last winter, some dusty now. Came home with heat exhaustion I think, time to get out jet ski:D

Top Bottom