North Carolina Trail/Enduro Riding/Racing...

OregonMagoo

Dec 23, 2000
Can anyone out there give me an idea of what kind of riding conditions exist in North Carolina? My company may be reassigning me to the Greensboro area. In Oregon I usually ride Enduros. The trails here are tight and heavily wooded, usually pretty wet and muddy. I currently ride/race a Gas Gas EC 250, looks like NC has three dealers...I guess parts shouldn't be a problem. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

OregonMagoo

OregonMagoo

Dec 23, 2000
CrazyTed...
Thanks for the information. I guess I still have some questions about the riding conditions. Do you guys enjoy year-around riding conditions or are there "down times" due to weather conditions. I didn't need any GoreTex riding gear when I lived in Texas because everytime it rained they cancelled the races due to poor/unridable(sp?) track conditions. In Oregon GoreTex gear is a must(racing rain or shine...usually rain!). I was on the verge of buying new GoreTex gear but I don't know if I'll need it in North Carolina.
I'd appreciate any other info I can get. Thanks

OregonMagoo

CrazyTed

Jul 26, 1999
Can't speak too much about the MX races but we race rain or shine. We have a few spring races where it rains but it's usually warm enough not to worry about Gore-Tex. Only time I wear a jacket is for the Delaware Nat'l Enduro since it's in Oct and can be pretty cold in the morning. The VCHSS takes a summer break due to the heat but most of us travel to other areas and keep racing. Since our series is all over the state, you go from tighter woods with a little sand on the east side of the state to the rocks on the west side of the state. The middle of the state has some hills that can be interesting if it rains.

Alpinestar

Apr 18, 2001
we have alot of Rocks!, We have pretty much any condishion you want. I mean go to the east coast towards the beach you got sandy/rocky/ anything. and towards me you have Rocks, Hills roots and tight back country. I can recomend a top riding area along my hills, Brown Mountian. Nestled in the hills of Grandfather. Holds tons of fun and difficuty for the better of us. Theres tons of motocross tracks in NC. To tell you the truth we got one of the best places to ride across our beautifull country. or so i have been told. Im not that far from greensboro about 1 or so hour. so BM would not be a problem for ya. And if you want MUD we got plenty of it for ya;) . If you to relocate look me up and we can ride sometime.

Alpinestar

Apr 18, 2001
we have 5 gas dealers here in NC. one in Harrisburg NC. Its pretty close to Greensboro. And if not theres one in Raliegh still your not to far from either of them. So your pretty straight. Anyways the guys around here can get what you need if you give them some time.

wts1982

Sponsoring Member
Jun 17, 2001
OM,

Central NC is a great palce to live. We get about 50" of rain per year and there are a couple of weeks in the winter that it gets really cold (highs in the 20-30's) and a couple of weeks in the summer when it gets hot (upper 90's and VERY high humidity). But there are also several months that the weather is fantastic. The rule around here is, it you don;t like the weather, wait 10 minutes and it will change.

As for the riding conditions, there is sand to the east, hills to the west and red carolina clay everywhere else. After a couple of years living here you will get used to all of your outdoor clothes turning orange from the clay.

It looks like the nearest gasgas dealer is 27 miles from Greensboro in Asheboro.

I used to live in SO. Cal and found that I have become more patient with the dealers out here (because they usually dont have the parts) and become best friends with the local UPS driver due all of the mail order that I do for parts and accessories.

All in all, this is a very nice place to live. I live in between Greensboro, NC and Martinsville VA(you know that NASCAR place) in Madison, NC

If you want any more info about the area, just let me know.
Chris

Top Bottom