North. Michigan trails good for kids?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Hi all - back to goofing off here at work so I can see DRN. (still cant view posts from my computer at home for some reason) I want to get my kids out in some new trails in NorthEast MI (I live in Atlanta) My youngest son has a real hard time with all the sand around here in the more open trails, and the single track stuff is way to whooped out for him, not to mention is generally to tight for my wife and oldest kid on there quads. So...are there any trails in Northern MI which are particularily good for kids to ride - particularily with little or less sand? What about the stuff around Wolverine? Black Lake? Mio (that seems likely to be very very sandy) any others? I dont mind a couple hours of road trip if I am somewhat confident it will be a decent area for the kids.

BTW - a local mx track (Onaway) had a practice day yesterday. Took the KTM and found out that I am to old for that stuff - 22 years since the last time on a MX track! Had a blast though - sure am sore today! The bike did great - I just held on! Yougest kid did a little nut crusher early on, really shook his confidence (cant say I blame him!), then the heat got to him (well into the 90's and high humidity) Track was tougher than I expected, and actually not at all well suited to the 50cc bikes (they need one built for 50's rahter than running them on the big track)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
will be heading to oscoda "high banks"

will be camping at old oaks camp ground . in the CCC map book they said that it's a 1 & 2 riding level. I think one of the trails are call huron some thing ? but there right by foot dam/ cook dam just off river road. been told it's a bit woop out & watch out for quads.

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
KTMMike, I would recommend that you avoid Mio if the kids do not like sand. The Wolverine loops have some rather significant hills, but less sand. I would recommend the Black Lake loop. I have only ridden the northern loop, but it was a lot of fun. For you family, avoid the ORV riding area BIG HILS and lots of sand.
Enjoy!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
f&S where are off to this week end ?

momma don't ride and she said she wanted a camp ground that missy and her could swim at. so i'm off to old oak's just out side of ocsoda. on river road.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
cycleboy

the wolverine trails are not far from Gaylord (just north of there I think - ive never ridden them) Look at map of Mich - go up I-75 to Gaylord (its bout 80 miles south of the Mackinaw Bridge)

70 marlin - i never knew there were trails by oscoda! are these natl forest trails or DNR? hows the sand in that area?

father and son - just how significant hills in wolverine trails (they sound interesting to me) to much for a 8 year old on a 50?, or enough to be fun but no such much as turning the ride into a constant hill climb for the little guy? Black lake area sounds really great to - i take it the trails are not as sandy as the open area?

gee - all of a sudden i have thre new spots to ride that all sound better than around here, all within 1 1/2 hours drive! thanks guys! Any other comments always welcome!

yukk.... better get back to work...hard to concentrate today - its FRIDAY!

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
Try this link to find some trails http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/popup.asp?Id=3
this should help. i would suggest redbridge its an awesome trail but it could get a little technical for the youngster. its all singletrack. Maybe try that one when you dont have the kids. its at the south end of blacklake. I wouldnt suggest riding near harrison this weekend there is an enduro race over in that area(leota trails). Unless your going to race the enduro.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
ktmmike and marlin, the wolverine trails are north of Gaylord. I have ridden the ORV and the national enduro last year in this area. The 8 year oid on the 80 would not enjoy the hills
ktmmike, I like the Atlanta trail loop. I would die to have 80 miles of trails in my backyard.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
great trailes for young'ins!

just got back last night. camped at old orchard camp, nice place. rode satuary Huron trail ORV route I think it was about thirty eight miles all we only did about twenty miles one way. this was a good starter trail for the boy's. orv route very sandy just slighty wooped out. two way traffic.
sunday morning. Old state house route, north and south loops, plus orv route. we route both loops plus most of the orv route. great for kids. only one hill that might be a challange for the kids spud rick # 1 who's not a climber made it.
In all we had a blast! no break down. or bad wrecks!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Fatherandson - thanks for the comment on wolverine trails - sounds like one i might like. Hey i sure do appreaciate having the trails in my backyard! Rode Hunt Creek Loop (or part of it - ran out of time) Saturday - was riding by 7:00 am - had about 20 minutes of back roads, then 40 mins of single track from my house to start of the loop. Man that trail gets tight! Leaves were soaked from dew and rain prior night - i ended up soaked head to toe. could not see a thing due to how tight trail is combined with all fogged up and goggles all wet! Got in about 2 hrs on the loop then bailed out on back roads to home - way to tight for my wife and kids - but i sure loved it!

70 Marlin - sounds like you found what I am looking for! Glad to hear you had a good time. Is the old state route so sandy?

Thanks again...

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
KTMMike and Traction T, Be sure to read the thread on the Trail Fest we are planning for the weekend of July 20-22. Plenty of place to park and many trails available for all levels of riders. Hope you can make it.

Traction t, how did the enduro in Harrison go yesterday (Sunday 6/17).

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
plenty, but ok for kids

most of it was compacted. was plenty of loose stuff though. one big loose hill on orv route.

Top Bottom