the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
What MX tracks are there around North Texas? I've heard about Nocona, Oak Hill, Village Creek, something down in Weatherford, and Mossier Valley (closed).

I'm wanting to try my club-like hands at some MX stuff, and also take the boy out there too (he's 6, so I'm assuming some sort of organized practice or pee-wee stuff is required?).

Does anybody have any suggestions? I think Oak Hill is a bit far (3+ hours away), Nocona is going to be, what, 2 hours or more from Keller? Village Creek is having a race this Saturday, so that's out.

Any other suggestions?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Nocona is worth the trip and has a kids track.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
You have bad info on Oak Hill, it's way closer than Nocona. Oak Hill is only six miles North of Decatur and by far the superior track in North Texas, keeping in mind I haven't seen the new indoor track in Alvarado. I've raced Mosier Valley, Oak Hill and Village Creek and I definitely rate Oak Hill above the others. Matter of fact I would compare Oak Hill to Cooperland in relation to the soil and layout.

A few others are Hole Shot Valley in Weatherford, Badlands, Burleson MX Park, Jack Barnett MX Park, Greenville, and you can never talk about North Texas motocross without mention of Lake Whitney or Swan in Tyler.

A great resource for North Texas dirt biking is http://www.holeshotmag.com/home.asp

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
taraker said:
You have bad info on Oak Hill, it's way closer than Nocona. Oak Hill is only six miles North of Decatur

For some reason, I was thinking it was out in the city of Oak Hill, out near Henderson past Tyler.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
There was a track up in Sherman off Texoma Parkway (just northeast of Sherman somewhere). I have never been there but I heard about it from some of my son's friends. I looked for it but could not find it. There was a membership fee to use and pratice there. The track was suppose to be nice (from a kids point of view).

There was another track behind a little store and junk area on Texoma across the road from where FM 691 runs into Texoma Parkway (east side of Terxoma). It is a small track more for the local kids. Their races were on Sunday early in the afternoon.

I am not sure of their schedules or even if they still exist this year. If you are interested, I would have to do some digging to find out more info.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
Mudd Slinger said:
If you are interested, I would have to do some digging to find out more info.

There seems to be quite a few close tracks I wasn't aware of. I'd rather explore the ones close to home first before I take preference to ones far away.

Thanks for the offer.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Oak hill was very cool. I haven't raced in for MX, but we did the WORCS race out there and the moto track was very friendly. It had a big double that I didn't roll because they cut it out, but everything else was table tops. That's a MX track I'd actually go back to... and I've been to Nocona.

My advice though... stay in the trees. The air is dangerous.Trees are your friend.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Matt, you sure you want to go to this one? You have a 5th that will take the place of this race if you don't show. Come on, don't you want to at least give me a fighting chance at the jacket... ya know... just to make things interesting?

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
The kiddo has a MSF dirt bike course on Sunday, or we would try it.

He and I have been itching to try out the MX thing, and he wants to start racing. That's (hopefully) what Saturday is for. I'll be making calls tomorrow.

Thanks for everybody's help.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
if you want to get your feet wet racing...............race at burleson mx. its a great little track with nothing that can get you/son killed. its been there 30yrs, its reasonable(fees), event is well run. do a google search for more info. there are only single jumps.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
tx246 said:
...nothing that can get you/son killed...

That's the biggest concern. I want something safe for the boy. I'll be calling around tomorrow. It seems like alot of the tracks' schedules are geared towards races and not much practice time.

I only found three locally with pee-wee tracks: Oak Hill, Nocona, and Badlands. Oakhill's site says they're only open when The Schedule says so, so this weekend is out. I'll be calling on Nocona and Badlands tomorrow and see if they're open this weekend.

Am I being overly cautious about the pee-wee thing? I hate to ask such stupid questions, but I've only seen pictures of MX tracks and heard stories of folks being landed on and stuff. The kiddo's safety is the most important thing. If Burleson is safe and easy as far as the track goes, do I need to worry about the guy that's trying to win the WMXGP championship on Saturday morning practice? How are practices run? Are they a free-for-all, or is it run like roadracing where there are sessions broken into novice/expert/minis?

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Village Creek also has a pee wee track for 65cc and under. VC is located just South of Fort Worth.

VillageCreekMX.com

If crowded, they will have a practice session on the big track just for kids

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Eric - I'll see ya at the startin line Sunday. :)

If I read right they may combine the 1.5/1 hours together

Quote from Brain over at TON, incase you missed it

We only got 3 tenths of rain on Thursday. The area from Denton to Mckinney got much less rain than Dallas Ft. Worth. It had not rained in 18 days before that. When we went out at lunch yestersay it was perfect. If it looks like it will rain some in the afternoon we will run everybody at 11:00 and be done at 1:00. Just because it rained alot where you are don't jump the gun. Because you will miss a great race. See you Sunday

Thanks Brian Storrie

Although I suspect this potential change may have more to do with some silly football game than the actual weather probabilities :|

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
That post was for the buddy race he had out there last week you doofus. That would be TORO's decision... and I wouldn't count on it.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
The plans seem to be firming up.

Nocona sounds like the place. Open early so I can get home at a reasonable hour. They have a pee-wee track based on what I've found on the web, and they're actually open for practice.

I'll be in a red Ranger and on a black KX250. Kiddo on a XR50.

Top Bottom