bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Okay, after the Sunday afternoon parking lot discussion at Moonrocks I have an idea for a Northwest Spodefest at Lake Gillette the weekend of June 29th.

Lake Gillette is about 2.5 hours from Spokane, and 25 miles from Colville Washington. They have campgrounds galore, two nice lakes, cabins from $45 - $65 per night on the lake, showers, small restaurant and a variety of trails from beginner to expert in the Colville National Forest. There are also hotels & motels in Colville 25 miles away. Great riding, followed up with a jaunt in the lake on jetskis, boats, whatever. The resort said they have some cabins and plenty of campground open for June 29th weekend. I have a few pics in my CR500 Album of the Gillette area.

The trails include the infamous and technical Batey Bould system, and the less difficult Little Pond Oreille system. Links to the NMA maps are:
http://www.nmaoffroad.org/orvguide/mapne2.htm

Both 23 and 24 are accesible from Gillette

DNR info of Batey Bould (thanks to Josef):
http://users.eagles.sisna.com/yosef.eagle/biking/places/area/ne/bateymap.jpg

DNR info on Little Pond Oreille (little pond o'ray):
http://users.eagles.sisna.com/yosef.eagle/biking/places/area/ne/pend_map.jpg

What's everyone think?

------------------
Bbbom’s Picture Page

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Oh, Gawd, don't get me started again!! I looked it up on the computer last night, and said, "Dave, guess how long it takes to get from here to Spokane!" 38 hours of driving! 4 days. Probably won't have the time to drive it this year. If I fly out, does anyone have a bike I can borrow...?! :confused:
:p

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
After seeing the Reno pics, I'm dying to make it to one of these. I may have to do the fly in thing as well. I guess I better check Delta and see how much air fare is. Anyone got a loaner bike? Alabama to Washington...shouldn't cost too much ;)

------------------
Neelys Photo Page

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Lets see, 01CR80E, 90DS80, 98KLX300 and of course the beautiful pink 94CR500 for a quick spin. If none of those fit your needs, I'll check with the rest of the family & see what they have lying around.

Lori, From the variety of bikes you rode this past weekend, I'm sure we can accomodate your needs!! :) :) Better bring Dave this time, he & Karl can compare trail blazing techniques!!

CNM, check with Southwest Airlines, I've flown them from Spokane to Nashville for $99 each way! :p

------------------
Bbbom’s Picture Page

[This message has been edited by bbbom (edited 02-21-2001).]

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I can see my vacation time dwindling very low before the end of the year.....

I'll check with the wife about the trip - sounds like a blast.

For those that are considering flying in - look into shipping your bike on a freight carrier. One of the guys from ThumperTalk shipped his bike from Boston to Denver for the Moab trip in October. One of the Denver guys hauled the bike from Denver to Moab & back. I think it was $200-$300 for shipping.

Check out the Moab Forum on TT for freight companies.

Brian

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, of course I'll be there! I can entertain you all again with my fine riding techiniques. ;) I can vouch for the area--I've been there twice and loved it. It's beautiful and challenging but not frustratingly so. There's trails for all types.

It'll be a while until the snow melts though. Can't wait to get you guys up into OUR neck of the woods!

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Would I need to fly into Spokane or Seattle? So far I've found these rates from Birmingham to Spokane:

Delta - 1266.00 round trip :(
Southwest - 213.00 one way
Northwest - 336.50 round trip :)

If I can get the vacation day, this is a possible, yeah!!!!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
CNM, Spokane would be the nearest airport & we could pick you up there. Seattle is an option since Firecracker and others are there, it's about a 4 hour drive Seattle to Spokane.

For anyone interested in shipping their bikes, do a DRN Search on shipping - several people have used http://www.forwardair.com/ but the nearest depot for them is Seattle. There's other ideas posted in various threads for shipping.

------------------
Bbbom’s Picture Page

[This message has been edited by bbbom (edited 02-21-2001).]

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Count me in. Might have to get around to actually MEETING bbbom, rather than just planning rides :) I would imagine there is motorhome access up there?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by kalitude:
Why do I have the feeling that all my vacation time is going to spent on DRN rides this year? ;)

Well duh! ;) What else would you want to use if for!! :)

I would love to get in on this. LoriKTM, how did you like the RM125? Hopefully by then I will have another bike and I would like to keep the RM, so it's a possibility I would have it with me as a spare for anyone that wants to ride it. :)

------------------
Aimee
RM125
AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Coalition Member
gospeedracer’s Picture Page

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
Seattle is probly the less expensive place to fly into.
i'll plan on being there unless something big happens(big job offer out of state?)
if someone wants to fly into Seattle, i'll probly have space in my toyota for one.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Hey bbbom,

Is there a Hyatt or Hilton nearby? :D

You know what the worst thing is? I don't need a place to store my bike :p. You've got to admit it was pretty cool all of us sitting around my house on Saturday morning watching 'Time to Ride'.!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Stop it! Stop taunting me! All these voices in my head! "Ship the bikes", "Fly to Spokane!", "Borrow a bike!" I can't stand it!! :eek:

$300 for shipping isn't too bad. I wonder if two bikes can share a bigger crate...

GSR, I think someone forgot to put in a bottom end on that RM, but otherwise it was fine! Once I adjusted to the MX powerband, we did ok. It's a good backup bike, but if you're going to do any serious trail riding, there are better options (for your next bike). :)

Bring Dave with? I don't think I could keep him at home. However, it IS right in the middle of our racing season out here, so I'll have to see what our club has planned. Hmm.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM:
but if you're going to do any serious trail riding, there are better options (for your next bike). :)

NO KIDDING! Tell me about it! :) I have had thoughts of KTM running through my head.... but there is no dealership near me! :( Not sure what I want.... um... well, yes I do... one of each! :D

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
GSR - KTM 200mxc would be perfect for you! Don't believe me, ask Angry Jim, and LoriKTM.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Yeah, thanks to Kiwi & AJ now Karl wants a CR500AF. Guess that would mean he wouldn't have to replace the rim & handlebars on the 90CR500 - they don't look so good after Reno!!! :) Hmmmm might have to make it two of em though so we can match even better!! :p

Sorry Strick, closest Hilton or Hyatt would be in Spokane but Colville has a Benny's Colville Inn which I am sure is comparable!! ;) http://www.colvilleinn.com/index.html

Actually, after looking at their site, they might just be!!! :eek:

------------------
Bbbom’s Picture Page

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
How big is Lake Gillette? Big enough to ski in? Can fourwheelers come? It would be much easier to get my family to come if that is the case...

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Yes, Lake Gillette is big enough to ski in, barely but it connects to Lake Thomas which is larger. Yosef & his wife towed the kids all around last summer in innertubes & they had a blast.

I will have to check on the 4 wheelers. I know there are miles of logging roads they can access but most of the "trails" are singletrack dirtbike trails.

------------------
Bbbom’s Picture Page

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hey all, I'd like to race the Funky Chicken race that weekend in Oregon so would plug for either the weekend after or before the 29th June so I can do both. Maybe others could do that too?

Kiwi

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Nix on June 25th! That's my club's Silver anniversary poker run that I must work.

June 29th weekend works if you all promise to sing Happy Birthday for my daughter's fifth. Bet she'll get on the JR that day too!

Kiwi, what's a funky chicken???

------------------
MACE

One night I was layin' down,
I heard mama 'n papa talkin'
I heard papa tell mama, "you let that boy MOTO,
it's in him, and it got to come out..."

Jun 14, 1999
Hmmmm, June...perfect. We will have driven 1,850 miles up to the Seattle area just to visit relatives. I cant see any harm in loading my scoot in the back of the truck for the trip up there ;)

Of course, I'll have to sneak away from my visit with the in-laws...

This just may be do-able!!

------------------
Vincent   "He who dies with the most toys wins!"
99 WR400F
84 V65 Magna
56 Triumph 650(Hillclimber)
92 TW200
84 KX80
81 XR80
81 PW50

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Wow, a place I could ride the Ktm half day then pull up to my Waveblaster and take a few laps in the lake to cool off. Now this sounds like a plan! My trusty Lab Buster would enjoy a little camping too(the snacks).
I'll check the dates with boss man at work.

Top Bottom