Nose Diving help and Protection Gear

keioffice

Sep 19, 2005
Well first of i just bought a 07 kx250f :) . But im having the same problem ive had for awhile. I nose dive alot, not all the time but ive had to many close calls on a huge tabletop that i hit. I had the same problem on my kx100. Is it my riding position? is it my throttle position? Am i supoosed to blip the throttle at the top of the jump or just keep a constant speed? So if you could answer this or just give me a basic rundown of how to hit a jump!!!
Next i was wondering about protective gear. I dont wear a chest protecter i just wear a EVS roost protector, is this bad? I mean are chest protectors just for roost or what? And now im wondering about neck rolls? Should i get one and if so which one? I was thinking about the EVS Rc3 but do you need to connect it to a chest protector? Or are the rc2 and rc1 just as good? Thanks for any answers!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I prefer to do more than just keep a constant speed on takeoff, I prefer constant acceleration.

Roost isn't a problem, slamming into harder objects is. Get a full chest protector with a decent neck protector.

fisco

Mar 23, 2007
I give it a little blip on the crest of the jump. If I think about it, its more a feel thing. Play around until you feel comfortable. just remember the back brake: if you get the front too high.

Mar 16, 2007
some one please correct me if im wrong but i think, the smaller faced jumps or kicker type jumps you should blip the throttle when you hit the face of the jump. bigger jumps with you just keep on the gas.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
some one please correct me if im wrong but i think, the smaller faced jumps or kicker type jumps you should blip the throttle when you hit the face of the jump. bigger jumps with you just keep on the gas.

That's what works for me. I'm not too experienced yet but I have experienced the nose diving and a quick rev while on the face of the jump will help the bike to fly level if it is otherwise dropping the front wheel.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
76GMC1500 said:
That's what works for me. I'm not too experienced yet but I have experienced the nose diving and a quick rev while on the face of the jump will help the bike to fly level if it is otherwise dropping the front wheel.
Works for me too! And if you ever start using the brake in the air,if you kill the bike in the air,your friends would appreciate a video! This is a cosmetic approach,you should be able to move the bike in the air,cross training with bicycles sometimes pays off,ask JM.

Jul 4, 2006
Blipping the throttle on the face is what puts the kickers in the jumps. Steady throttle or accelerate from down on the flat before the face, stay in the attack position and lift with knees if necessary. And always land with the power on, watched a kid take a helicopter ride this past weekend after swapping bad and going down over a bigger table. (From not landing with the power on)

And the RC3 is the better choice, the front part of roll is thicker and offers more protection by not allowing the neck to roll too far forward. Hope this darn Leatt get's here soon been 5 weeks on order now.

keioffice

Sep 19, 2005
SteveinSpringHill said:
Blipping the throttle on the face is what puts the kickers in the jumps. Steady throttle or accelerate from down on the flat before the face, stay in the attack position and lift with knees if necessary. And always land with the power on, watched a kid take a helicopter ride this past weekend after swapping bad and going down over a bigger table. (From not landing with the power on)

And the RC3 is the better choice, the front part of roll is thicker and offers more protection by not allowing the neck to roll too far forward. Hope this darn Leatt get's here soon been 5 weeks on order now.
yes but i dont have a chest protector, im thinking of getting one that will go under my jersey, The RC3 will connect to one that goes under the jersey right? I mean i dont know if i really need a chest protector, what are they going to safe me from?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A chest protector distributes the impack to a larger area, just like the helmet does (but the helmet has some cushion in it, too).

I have a scar in my chest from a handlebar back before I wore CPs. If I had been wearing a CP...no blood, no scar, and less pain.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
your going too slow, blip the throttle at the mid-top of the jump and that level it out for ya. keep constant acceleration and you'll do fine.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
A blip of the throttle on the face mill kick you front up as you leave, a bit of revving whil in the air will do the same, but it won't always be necessary. Keep a steady throttle all the way up the face, and if the front drops, rev up (no clutch). You can also lean back a little.
Picture your nose down landing going bad, and you driving your chest into the bars, or landing chest first on a softball sized rock, then you can better decide whether or not you need better chect protection.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Please don't take offense, I don't feel your experienced enough to employ to much of the valuable advice within these posts. I suspect you'll be better off simply taking the time to learn the bike, it's power curve, suspension, etc., then handling and technique issues will fall in place and those that don't will be those you practice, for you to not understand the issues with the front dropping is the clue that your not quite ready to tap brakes, throttle up, understand gear hi/low, etc., ride and practice...
Good Luck

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
keioffice said:
Well first of i just bought a 07 kx250f :) . But im having the same problem ive had for awhile. I nose dive alot, not all the time but ive had to many close calls on a huge tabletop that i hit.
I agree with kx250dad, if you are on a new bike, having trouble jumping, i would say you should not be attempting any huge jump. take it easy for a while, it will come with practice.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
RMZRyder said:
You might try softening the rebound on your shock a couple of clicks.
Um...softening the rebound on the rear shock actuallu decreases the rebound damping of the shock and will let it kick the back end up even harder (and higher). If he's going to play with the suspension, he would be better off to stiffen the rebound damping, BUT...as mentioned, fiddling with suspension to compensate for a lack of experience and good form is a mistake. Learn the proper techniques and control before trying to compenste with suspension adjustments.

Having said all of that, it is worthwhile to have someone qualified check over the suspension to make sure it is working properly and is adjusted close enough that it isn't creating any problems for you.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
If the nose drops on you in the air, simply give it a few blips of throttle to bring the nose up. You are going to need to learn how to control the bike in the air and you might as well do so now, rathar than later.
As for chest protectors, I wont ride without one. Roost guards do protect you mostly from roost and really dont do much to protect you when you fall. You might want to look into a pressure suit, that will offer much better protection than any roost guard.

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
This happens to me all the time..... I let off the throttel on the face...cause I am a chicken :-) if you hold constant throttle you will be fine ...I just did it the other night ....think about what you were doing when it happens..... I bet your letting off the throttle...easy fix just hold it up the face...Good Luck

Top Bottom