Not repacking the muffler may result in wearing out the cylider?

Dino Y

Sep 17, 2003
Not repacking the muffler may result in wearing out the cylider?
Someone mention that to me and I wonder if that is true and if it is why.
A bike my friend had, needed repacking which he didn't do and ended up wearing out the cylinder. Is it because of not repacking the muffler or something else went wrong.

Charlie Mix

Feb 7, 2007
When a lot of wool is dropped thorough the silencer the chamber will have more empty space.
More empty space means to have more speed in the exhaust system.
More speed in the exhaust will make the engine to run hotter, the temperature of the exhaust port will increase because of the more gas flowing through the port.

The engine will also run leaner.

All these things in some cases make the engine prone to seizing.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I don't think a "properly setup" MX bike would have a cylinder fail solely because you didn't repack the silencer.

I will believe that running with no packing material could contribute to a failure. It could lean the bike out a bit, or do other things that could cause an engine on the verge of failure, to fail.

Redrodent

Jul 31, 2002
Not to be harsh, but if your not one to repack the muffler once in a while, maybe your not maintaining othe items in a timely fashion ( oil, air, etc). Not saying neglect, just not enough. Then the poor muffler gets the blame.

"My 85 has 200hrs on it and broke the piston, what a POS :yell: "
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
If you don't repack your silencer it will definitely cause your bike to quit running since you will have no place to ride it!

Top Bottom