austin93

Oct 12, 2013
Hi. I have recently bought a 1994 suzuki rm125. Looks in excellent condition it starts and idels great but when you give a littke gas it boges down and will eventually shut off but when I got it the guy that had it before him took it to a shop and had it bored out to a 144 and he said he road it for a liitle while then one day he was riding and it shut off and couldn't get spark. So the guy I bought it from took it to a shop and had the engine looked over and they said it has excellent compression everthing in the engine is great and he said all it needs is jetted. So I bought it and took it to a shop and had them re jett it and they did it 4 times and nothing so they started to look through the wiring and put different stators and coils and nothing they said it could be the cdi box so I went and got one they didnt have any for the same year but he told me that a 93 rm 250 uses the same cdi box so I got that one and it dosnt work put the old one back in and it idels but no run. If anyone has any idea of whats wrong please help!.

kneedrag05

Sep 16, 2013
You need three things to run. Compression, fuel and spark. You said the shop tested the compression and it was fine. You have spark and at the proper timing or it would not idle. So that brings us to fuel.

In order to figure out what jetting you need it would be best to see if you can find out who did the engine work when it got punched out to 144. If it was a reputable shop they should have jetting specs you can use to at least get a good baseline to work from.

However, there is a chance it is not even your jetting as the guy you bought it from claims it ran great and then stopped. If that is truly what happened then it sounds like something broke. Quite possibly a reed. It may have also sucked something into a jet and plugged it up.

If I were you I would:
1. clean/oil or replace the air filter
2. thoroughly clean the air box and boot to the carb
3. thoroughly clean the carb and inspect the float to make sure all is in proper working order.
4. check or replace the reeds and replace the reed cage gaskets (they almost always rip[ when pulling the reed cage and you definitely don't want an air gap there.

Let us know if you find anything out when doing all of this.

Top Bottom