not true rear wheel - premature sprocket wear?

Liamfm

Apr 20, 2010
First of all thanks. I got my bike out for the first real ride this weekend and had a blast. We did about 30 miles - all of it was fun! The bike caused no problems at all and performed very well.

I have 2 issues I'd like to correct, but money is starting to run out and I want to do the most important first...

My chain and sprockets are BADLY worn. I also noticed that there were a few areas where I could have used a lower gear, so I'm thinking about going to a 13/50 sprocket (I'm 230lbs, so it take a bit more to get me up the hill).

Second, my rear wheel isn't true. I have intentions of taking it to get fixed, or replaced, but it's not like I can't ride it, it's just not perfect. The brake feels fine, and I think the sprocket is true (or damn close), it's just got some really worn teeth.

My question is, if I put a new sprocket and chain set on should I expect them to be worn abnormally by the wheel? I'd like to replace the chain/sprocket first, but don't want to ruin them if I should really replace/fix the wheel first.

As for a chain/sprocket set I'm thinking about the Primary Gear steel with the gold x-ring chain. I'm just a woods rider, nothing crazy, and I don't want to spend huge money on it. Thoughts?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
13/50 is where alot of us end up at after going around a bit
the primary drive sprokets are good I have them...you really dont need the x ring chain if your watching your money a standard renthal has lasted me forever, though I have a primary drive chain cut to the 14/48 length it did have some inital stretch but after that it never stretched again but I did not run the 14/48 to long for obviuos resons (too tall)

sealed chains will require a moose (frp) chain guide no sense in that a good standard chain with proper care is just fine.

the rear wheel being out of true will have no effect on the wear of the sprokets unless the warp is coming from the hub, the hub will spin true and the sprocket is connected to the hub right?

look at your wheel bearings in lou of the money saved on the non o-ring chain.

Liamfm

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks sr5. It turns out the wheel bearings are shot (noticed a small amount of side to side play), so those are getting replaced for sure. I have a 13/47 combo right now, I'll step up to a a13/49 or 13/50 and standard chain. I don't need the best of the best, I just don't want to have to tighten after every ride. If a standard works then that's good enough for me!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah just stay away from the rk standard chains sold at cycle gear they seem to be very crappy I bought one and it stretched so much that it ruined my 50t rethal rear aluminium sprocket in a few rides.

go with the 50t rocky mountain atv mc has them for 19 bucks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom