smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
I have a clutch problem it seems like my clutch is always slightly engaged but the clutch only grabs within the last half of an inch of letting the lever out, it sounds to me that i have a notched basket, i have pictures from when i was rebuilding the bottom and top end, doest is look badly notched to you? i have never seen a notched basket so i dont really have anything to compare it to, Can i file the peaks of the notches down and make the basket fingers smooth again? I know this would decreace the life of the clutch basket because of the friction plates having more room to smack into the basket fingers but it would give me more time to get another basket right. Thanks for your help, oh yea im using ATF typeF tranny fluid if that makes a difference.

How do i post the picture?

B

biglou

You can file the notches, but be careful to only take off as much material as necessary. It's a temp fix, but will work for a while, depending on how hard you are on it. Also, must be subscriber or above to post pics here. You can link to other webspace if you have it.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
thanks yea i thought i had to be a subscriber, if anyone wants to take a look at the picture i have of one of my basket fingers i can email it to you. thanks

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Been my experience that you can file the notches out ONCE. I have done this many times, both trying just to take the high spots down and taking them completely smooth. All the way smooth is the way to go. If you just file the high spots off, the plates just find themselves back in the low points and wear it even faster.

If you do it right, and it isn't a race bike it will last quite a long time.

I do it like this:
With a fresh(sharp) mill file start taking the notches down. Work your way around the basket doing the load side and the unloaded side. Make sure you are filing square(check with an old plate) When they are equally smooth, break the sharp edges and using a chainsaw file make sure the radii where the fingers meets the basket are smooth as well. Clean with hot soapy water and blow dry.

Top Bottom