NOTHING when kickstarting kid's JR50, HELP

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
I performed a search and found nothing so far. My son's JR50 will not kick over at ALL. It's not like it's not hooking up, it's like it has NO SPARK. Tonight I have some time so I thought I'd get to work on it. Check for spark, then see what goes from there.

What should I be looking at if there is no spark? Would poor compression cause this? When I say nothing, I mean the only sound is of the kickstart lever itself being kicked. You can't hear the engine trying to turn at all.

I'm very mechanically inclined with car engines, but very new to bike engines. Without a battery I take it that it's a magneto starter system? Where will I find the coil and points, etc?

Thanks for the help.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
jkupers said:
IWhen I say nothing, I mean the only sound is of the kickstart lever itself being kicked. You can't hear the engine trying to turn at all.

If you don't hear a faint "putt putt putt" when you are cycling the kick starter, there is a problem.

Have you tried to push-start the bike? You will need to get it into neutral, push the bike to a slow jog pace and engage the shifter (while at the same time bouncing on the seat).

Another way to check to see if the starter is working is to put the bike in gear, raise the rear tire off the ground, and give it a kick. If the wheel is turning, the starter is "connected" to the primary gear.

flat capper

Jun 25, 2006
didnt think you could bump a jr50 i thought they were rev and rip but with a neutral?

we had 2 jr50s and 2 jr80s a while ago the 80s were great we raced them round the shop but the 50s were pigs one of them was striped and rebuilt and evntualy ended up setting fire to itsself the workshop and the old chap working on it (leaky fuel pipe while checking spark)

compression is a major issue if i remember correctly somdays it will be fine others it will be crap it depends what mood the bike is in :whoa:

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Is the kick starter just going through the stroke and it feels like you aren't kicking anything?

Check the auto clutch adjustment. You should feel like you are kicking something...as in getting compression resistance. It won't spark or anything if the clutch is out of adjustment.

This can be a very frustrating problem, but it is common. You won't be able to figure it out, but my guess is it is centered around the clutch.

Put it in gear and rock back and forth while kicking. Sometimes it will free it up and engage the kickstaft properly. Otherwise take to adjusting the clutch to its outer adjustments.

Top Bottom