Notice to RI Outdoor Recreationists

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I picked up this flyer from my local dealership. Thought that I would pass it along.
On Tuesday Nov. 20th at 7:00 P.M. a public meeting will take place at the Warwick Police Community Room. New rules and regulations are being "proposed" that will effectively end all off-road riding on public land in Rhode Island. These regulations are posted at: http://www.state.ri.us/dem/news/2001/pr/1106012.htm . Currently only special events are allowed.

The State of Rhode Island annually receives over $400,000 from tea-21. This is money from taxes on gasoline used in off-road motorcycles, ATV's, etc. To date, not one dollar has been spent to promote motorized recreation in Rhode Island. Our sport (promotes) citizenship, physical fitness, and family values. Now, more than ever we need a place to get away from the insanity of this word. We need your support.

What to do?
  • Get involved-do not just show up
  • Write a letter as testimony for submission. Explain why motorcycling is important to you, and how outraged you are at DEM's buckling under to pressure from environmental groups like Save Our Trails, AMC. Sierra Club, etc.
  • Be prepared to speak. Be courteous, but firm. Pick a power point. Ex. Hypocrisy towards motorized recreation, lack of opportunities for motorcyclists, vs. overwhelming opportunities to non-motorized groups. Hike a non-motorized trail; make notes on deficiencies, trail widening, exposed roots, erosion, blow downs, etc.
  • call your state representative and senator. Call director Reitsma at DEM. (401)222-2771, or Governor Almond's office at (401)222-2060

We must make our presence known! Come prepared, and bring a prepared friend

Last edited:

KTMrad

Mar 20, 2001
We are all experiencing this all over our country, yet many people choose to be complacent. Get involved and at least contribute by writing some letters and donating money to the Blue Ribbon Coalition and your local organizations fighting for your right to use public lands.

Top Bottom