Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
clw,

Your test doesn't hold water:eek: Air moving through the filter is the basic function of the air filter. If it held water, it would be air tight ( or close to it) and that would be bad.

The question you are trying to answer is, does the effectiveness of the fliter oil deteriorate with water? That question will be answered with a different test. You need to prepare the filters with the appropiate oil, expose them to water, then blow dust through them to see how much dust they collect. The last part is the tricky part. You might employ a vacum cleaner in to pull the air through the filter.

Anyway, it's still a free country, and you get to use what ever oil make you happy.

Whoops

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Re: Eye opening test results!

Whoops:

Originally posted by clw
My very unscientific test was under static conditions, I couldn't simulate air movement (suction) that would be occurring under actual conditions.

See, I knew that!

What I expected to see was water to run off (you know, like a freshly waxed car) the treated filter as I sprinkled it . And, it did a little on the oil based filter, less so on the Notoil filter. In actual use, wet sand was washed off the filter and migrated through the motor. Then there was plenty of suction involved! Like I said before, neither product performed as I had hoped, that's why I'm trying to seal up the airbox better so next time (hopefully)the filter won't even be exposed to water and it's suspended contaminants.

Thanks, one and all, for your comments.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
re-seal the air boot-to-box joint, with weather strip adhesive. that will esure that you don't have any air leaks. also check the intake manifold for cracks. had you ever changed the top end on either of the bikes??? maybe they were just worn out. are you sure they were jetted properly? there are sooo many things that can cause a bike to seize. the filter oil, and grease, are the very least suspect components of the intake system, to fail.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Do not put the filter on wet!

I have done a few test as well ....well trial and error

I have found that if you do not allow your (no-Toil) filter to dry before you install it the alachol will run into your air boot ..into your carb ...mix with gas and harden.

I have also noticed that the alachol will break down your premix oil.

These can easily be avoided with just allowing dry time.(do not put the filter on wet).

anyone who put it on wet will find that the filter is dryer on top and wet on the bottom

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Yamamoto is absolutely right. Its also important to shake the hell out of the bottle before use. I prep and let dry several at a time and store in bags so I don't have to wait. If your in a hurry, careful use of clean compressed air will speed drying. I don't believe the No-Toil resists water any less than the petroleum oils when applied correctly. Ever try to wash the stuff off your hands without the cleaner?

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
About how many filter oilings does one bottle of No-toil supply? I've been using No-toil for a few months now, but it seems like I only get 3 oilings from one bottle and those bottles are more expensive than traditional filter oils.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Alcohol vs Alachol

Did I spell it that way twice? lmao

In all respects ....No-Toil is BETTER in wet conditions, take a bucket of water and submerge your No-Toiled filter vs your Petro Filter, then squeeze.

Just like anything else .....you gota do it right.

The only thing I miss about petro oils is that it leaves a nice film on the inside of my air boot that would catch and hold any dirt that got by.

However I do not have that problem when using NO-TOIL,

I over oil the piss out of it and let it dry before install.

Last thing on no-toil if it drys (to long) it hardens and is not as tacky, so if you did your filter 3 weeks ago and did not ride ( you need to redo it)

clw

Dec 29, 2000
It must be me!

Wow, lots of questions:

roostinbe
Other avenues for unfiltered air checked on both bikes, both jetted as they were delivered, the Yamaha was pure factory and the Gas Gas was at the dealer changed settings. Age; Yamaha top end 5 months (maybe 30 hours) the Gas Gas was 2 months new (12 hours+/-). The yamaha seized because the main bearings were damaged by the sand, and the main seal let air in leaning out the mixture and it came to a stop. The GG piston was all scratched up on the intake side and a mild seizure on the exhaust side with the chrome chipped off next to the exhaust port, say big $. Gas Gas firmly placed the blame on what went through the motor, not mixture, oil, etc.

Yamamoto
Do you oil your filters more than once to get it "over-oiled"? You know, wait 15 minutes and then re-oil?

Gulp, if it does harden after 3 weeks that is a problem in itself, anyone else notice this? Does No-toil warn of this?

Your observation of the inside of the boot is something I mentioned earlier, it always looked clean even after passing contaminates faking me out, unlike those gooey oil based products and their film.

GlennP
I've got a stock Yamaha filter that's falling apart at the seams. Is this what you cut up to plug the airbox drain?

Yes, I'm a bad bad shaker. BTW, the cleaner gets real HOT when you dump it on your hands for clean up, can you say catalyst.

Jeepboy
I got, on average but I'm finding out I'm no expert, about 5 filters per bottle.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Re: Alcohol vs Alachol

Originally posted by Yamamoto
Last thing on no-toil if it drys (to long) it hardens and is not as tacky, so if you did your filter 3 weeks ago and did not ride ( you need to redo it)

I noticed this when I went to install a spare filter I oiled about 4-5 weeks previously that had been sitting in a plastic bag (not airtight). I thought at the time, that I might have under oiled it or did not shake the bottle well. Have you ever tried sealing the newly oiled filter in an air tight container to preserve “tackiness”? I was thinking of trying that, but I wonder about the effect on the filter construction of not letting the alcohol carrier evaporate.

If the filter will dry out from just sitting around for a couple of weeks, then it also raises the question about how often you need to change the filter (elapsed time since changing, not riding time) to keep the engine protected

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
System

I have to maintain 4 Bikes so I had to come up with a system that is affective and easy.
Friday night
1st I Lube all filters (from Shelf)
2nd Pull all old filters out
3rd Wash all old filters (set on shelf to let air dry)
4th take my lubed filters (because thay had dry time between unbolting seats and pulling filters) and install them
5th put seats back on.

I do it once a week every friday, but this last weekend I left the dirty ones in because I was not riding this past weekend.

It only takes about 1-1/2 -2 hrs to dry so somtimes after I wash the filters I [pickle aroung getting riding gear together to add drying time.

P.S. if no-Toil runs down your airboot into the carb...YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

take a bit of gas and put a small splash of NO-Toil oil in it.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Re: System

Originally posted by Yamamoto
take a bit of gas and put a small splash of NO-Toil oil in it.

Will it explode? Come on, tell us what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
No no no

no explosion.

It just crystalizes and and turns rock hard, and what reallt sucks is that its liquid as it enters through the jet and hardens clogging your jet so bad that you must throw it out, well Main you can poke a needle through but the pilot ...forget it

Top Bottom